Saber II Scanning - Resume scan? After stop, no resuming?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

loki71

Post by loki71 »

I just got a 120ch Saber II, and it is of the CN variety - and will scan...

But oddly enough, after one of the channels from the list goes active, the squelch opens, i hear then transmission - then it just sits there.... and sits... and even thought they've stopped transmitting, and the 'channel busy light' isnt blinking anymore, it just sits...

My other Sabers resume scanning after the channel stops having active traffic...

Also, it doesn't seem to beep went its hitting a priority - BUT - while I can DROP channels to get it to resume, I can't drop a priority channel...

Anyone have any guesses? I know both Tom in DC and LACityFD have gone a few rounds with the varied scanning options - so I'm hoping you two and others may have some insight on this one! Thanks,

Richard
N0TZC
loki71

scanning update

Post by loki71 »

get this true believers...

i did that whole 'turn the saber off while programming' thing - and put a saber III codeplug in this radio - and poof, scanning resumes after transmission ends...

anyone have an ideas on the cause of this one?

thanks,

richard
n0tzc
likimkim
No Longer Registered

Post by likimkim »

Hello!

I am William from Hong Kong and I have adifficult problem to me that I
cannot solve it.
I have a VHF Saber II and don't why I cannot set teh searcing function
to it. I have another UHF Saber II and I saw the radio setting is the
same in searching part of both radios. Why I select the function and the
radio shows "unprog"in search and search list.
What can I do?
Please help me!!

Best regrads
William
AEC
No Longer Registered

Sabers and scanning...

Post by AEC »

First off.....You CAN'T delete a PRIORITY channel from any scan list, that's why it's a priority channel.

Older Sabers had troubles with locking on a scanned active channel, they didn't revert to scan after the carrier drops.

It's a 'flaw' I'll call it with the RSS and how the radio is set up.

From the keypad, the ONLY scan method you can manually enter is:

SELECTABLE SCAN, this is USER DEFINED, and can only be entered via the keypad.

Enabling this feature, you would use the orange [MENU] button and scroll until you see the word [SCAN], then use the center orange button[SELECT] and scroll again until you see [PROG SCAN] then [ENTER] to enter the channels you wish to 'SELECTIVELY SCAN' by entering each zone and channel in this manner:

Zone: 01 ENTER Channel: 01 ENTER....And so on....
Display flashes and the next channel shows up, usually TX MODE shows first on the display then the channels followed by PRIORITY 2.

Once all available channels are filled, the display reverts to the first active channel you entered.

HINT: Put your MAIN active channel in the first TX MODE slot, this will be your #1 PRIORITY channel.

Once your Sel Scan bank is full, and your normal scan list is active, you can select each one via the keypad by using the MENU key to bring you to the SCAN option, then SELECT buton ONCE for SELECTABLE SCAN, and TWICE for MODE SCAN, hit ENTER and you are scanning in your desired bank and modes!

It's THAT easy.
likimkim
No Longer Registered

Post by likimkim »

Hi, AEC

My situation is that when I click "menu" to "scan" and click the "SELECT" and then it shows "UNPROG", same as I click the "SCANLIST" function. However, my another Saber II only set the scanlist in RSS and write it to radio, when I select the "Scan" then it shows "Scanning" and works.
Is it any setting in the RSS?

And what is the meaning of "TX MODE" in "Scanlist" function?

Thank! a lot!

William
VR2WTF
loki71

Post by loki71 »

i believe the TX is the channel which you will default to transmit on when you key up while scanning...

as far as the 'UNPROG' - I'm going to guess that you either didn't setup your scanlist - or havent setup your operator selectable scanlist.

does this help?

richard
n0tzc
AEC
No Longer Registered

Saber II scanning......

Post by AEC »

I've been working with William on his problem, and I see where his trouble arises from...he only has the 3-button case and can't access the keys needed to manually enter the zone and channel info to enable 'Operator Selectable Scan' option, that's why the display shows 'UNPROG'D'.

Since his radio does not have a full keypad, he can't enter the zone and channel information to get selectable scan to function, he needs to obtain a Saber III outer case with the full keypad on it, then he should be able to get that option to work properly.

It appears he does have the scan option with the 'CN' model descriptor, so all he really needs is a proper case with the keypad to make it work for him.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Saber II scanning......

Post by AEC »

I've been working with William on his problem, and I see where his trouble arises from...he only has the 3-button case and can't access the keys needed to manually enter the zone and channel info to enable 'Operator Selectable Scan' option, that's why the display shows 'UNPROG'D'.

Since his radio does not have a full keypad, he can't enter the zone and channel information to get selectable scan to function, he needs to obtain a Saber III outer case with the full keypad on it, then he should be able to get that option to work properly.

It appears he does have the scan option with the 'CN' model descriptor, so all he really needs is a proper case with the keypad to make it work for him.

This is the heading the reply is posted under.....same section of the forum.

Norman
New User

Re: Saber II Scanning - Resume scan? After stop, no resumin

Post by Norman »

loki71 wrote:I just got a 120ch Saber II, and it is of the CN variety - and will scan...But oddly enough, after one of the channels from the list goes active, the squelch opens, i hear then transmission - then it just sits there.... and sits... and even thought they've stopped transmitting, and the 'channel busy light' isnt blinking anymore, it just sits...

Richard
N0TZC
I ran into this myself. My Saber III would stop on an active channel but not resume when the transmission ended. You have to adjust your "Receive Response Time" under "Align Scan Controls". You'll find this hidden under the "Service /Alignment" menu where you'll also find other important settings like "Battery Saver". I set mine to "2" (units are in seconds). It's supposed to default to "3". Don't know why, but mine was set to 255. So it would probably have resumed scanning had I left it alone for 4 mins., 25 seconds.

I found my "Transmit Response Time" and "Monitor Hold Time" also set to "255" and lowered them to "2". "Priority squelch is supposed to default to "8" but was set to "FF". Once you make these changes, you have to reprogram the radio using "F2 - Use Programmer Tuning Values" or it won't update the scan setting already in the radio.

You should first make note of all of your radio's other alignment parameters (VCO and reference modulation, etc.) before writing back any changes.

I realize this thread is over five years old but I thought I'd post it in case you or anyone else who might encounter this problem is in need of the solution.

I hope that helps.

Norman

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”