Firmware 7.0 information

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Firmware 7.0 information

Post by batdude »

note: NONE of this applies to your beloved XTS 3000 series radios.

new features supported w/ firmware 7.0 (and CPS 7.0)

-Immersible XTS-2500 (XTS-2500i)

-Model 1 with Display for the XTS-1500 and MT-1500

-Rebanding Models

-B Model Platform

New Radio Features Supported:
=============================
NOTE: Firmware version R07.00.00 required for all features

-Support for 800 MHz rebanding

-DVRS

-GPS Location over ASTRO 25 Trunking Systems

-Configuration of Multiple Conversation mode

-FCC-Compliant FPP on the XTS-2500 and XTS-5000

-UCM Hardware Encryption for the XTS-2500 portable

-ASTRO 25 LE System support

-VRS with Scan

some major things here....

- GPS over Astro25 (hmmm....wonder where my radios are???) (certainly this will be some kind of additional hardware-involved solution....i'm thinking connected to a convertacom or via the rear of the XTL mobile

- multiple conversation mode.... WTFO?

- UCM in a XTS2500? didn't even know there was a connector or room inside there for a UCM.... curious about that one

- FPP in the XTS2500.... awesome!

- FCC compliant FPP... what's that? Start thinkin' dongle / cloning cable to program --- a la JT1000.... so that means that the FPP option is going to (soon) be available to the general public... not cheap, but hey... cool none-the-less

now.... before you get all hissy. it appears that firmware 7.0 will require a dongle on the Q52 optioned FPP radios to meet FCC rules/regs (ala JT1000) radios w/o version 7 firmware don't require a dongle.

question is... will programming a radio with Version 6 firmware using CPS version 7.0 result in a "bricked" FPP that now requires a dongle/cloning cable to be attached prior to being FPP-able.....

anyway... neat stuff for sure.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Doug,

To enable the GPS, you will need to attach the GPS hardware optioned mic onto the 5K portable itself.

SG
RKG

Post by RKG »

And don't expect all that much. As folks are beginning to realize, most GPS heads will not derive a fix: inside buildings, inside vehicles, or in deeply urban areas with high rise buildings and other horizon obstructions.
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

based on logic:

Firmware interfaces with the user programmable data to give you your options, and the firmware tells the radio how to use it.

Thus, Version 6 firmware did not need a dongle when it sees the FPP option in the user codeplug. Version 7 does. Irregardless of the codeplug version, the firmware requires it, whch supercedes the codeplug.

However, I'm guessing there is proabably a Gov version that will exist also, either short term or long term.

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

I tried to pull up the software on MOL last week and nothing was there. I guess they were updating the account.

I just wish I could get updated firmware on my 123ABC...
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I was talking with an MRSS guy at work the other day and mentioned the FPP option that has been available for the 5K. He told me there was no such thing.

:lol: :roll:

Then again, these were the same people unable to program a saber.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

mancow wrote:I was talking with an MRSS guy at work the other day and mentioned the FPP option that has been available for the 5K. He told me there was no such thing.

:lol: :roll:

Then again, these were the same people unable to program a saber.
Trust me, I know far more about the Motorola radio features through this website than through any kind of Motorola information system. It doesn't surprise me in the least that they don't know about the FPP...I've never heard anything about it other than through here.

Even within Motorola themselves, the left hand quite often doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

RKG wrote:And don't expect all that much. As folks are beginning to realize, most GPS heads will not derive a fix: inside buildings, inside vehicles, or in deeply urban areas with high rise buildings and other horizon obstructions.
But it is incredibly useful for wildfire fighting, land rescue etc.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Re: Firmware 7.0 information

Post by spectragod »

batdude wrote:note: NONE of this applies to your beloved XTS 3000 series radios.

new features supported w/ firmware 7.0 (and CPS 7.0)

-Immersible XTS-2500 (XTS-2500i)

-Model 1 with Display for the XTS-1500 and MT-1500

-Rebanding Models

-B Model Platform

New Radio Features Supported:
=============================
NOTE: Firmware version R07.00.00 required for all features

-Support for 800 MHz rebanding

-DVRS

-GPS Location over ASTRO 25 Trunking Systems

-Configuration of Multiple Conversation mode

-UCM Hardware Encryption for the XTS-2500 portable

-ASTRO 25 LE System support

-VRS with Scan

some major things here....

- GPS over Astro25 (hmmm....wonder where my radios are???) (certainly this will be some kind of additional hardware-involved solution....i'm thinking connected to a convertacom or via the rear of the XTL mobile

- multiple conversation mode.... WTFO?

- UCM in a XTS2500? didn't even know there was a connector or room inside there for a UCM.... curious about that one

- FPP in the XTS2500.... awesome!

- FCC compliant FPP... what's that? Start thinkin' dongle / cloning cable to program --- a la JT1000.... so that means that the FPP option is going to (soon) be available to the general public... not cheap, but hey... cool none-the-less

now.... before you get all hissy. it appears that firmware 7.0 will require a dongle on the Q52 optioned FPP radios to meet FCC rules/regs (ala JT1000) radios w/o version 7 firmware don't require a dongle.

question is... will programming a radio with Version 6 firmware using CPS version 7.0 result in a "bricked" FPP that now requires a dongle/cloning cable to be attached prior to being FPP-able.....

anyway... neat stuff for sure.

doug

CPS 7.00.00 lists Q53 which is FCC conventional FPP and radio cloning, it also lists Q52 Federal Government FPP enhancement.

I suspect if it has Q52, it won't matter what software you program it with.

SG
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

DVRS?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
hoser

Post by hoser »

Digital VRS System
Made up here in the Great White North!
Motorola will be branding it themselves
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

From what I can tell in the rss, Multiple Conversation Mode allows you to simultaneously receive two approximately equal signals at the same time.

Not that they will be intelligible at all but apparently some users wanted to tell that two people were transmitting at the same time.
ab
What radios do you own?: G40

Post by ab »

From what I can tell in the rss, Multiple Conversation Mode allows you to simultaneously receive two approximately equal signals at the same time.
Try conversation - message - P.T.T. on the same system.
just a guess :roll:

ab
Jason

dvrs

Post by Jason »

Maybe the DVRS will be a little cheaper than the futurecomm, but its probably made by them, so its doubtful.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

Hello all, quick question after reading this post and some others. I was just wondering if it has been confirmed yet that if a Q52 (FPP) optioned XTS5000 with firmware version 6 is programmed with CPS version 7, will you then require some type of programming key? Or will it retain the "no key needed" programming. The radio in question currently has Q52 and Q53 in it, and firmware version 6. Just wondering if anyone has any updated info on this.

Thanks,

-Marc
Pj

Post by Pj »

Q52 and Q53?

I would think those two options would conflict with each other...
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

Thats kinda what I was thinking after reading it in CPS, and those 2 options showing up together. Hmmm, very interesting.

-Marc
Pj

Post by Pj »

What's the flashcode?
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

Found the info I was looking for, no further assistance is needed with my question.

Thanks,

-Marc
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

Just did the upgrade on an XTS2500 to firmware 7.0. Taking a brief look at the codeplug it now has a place for a secondary failsoft channel and the radio shows 512 channels. :D
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

I also upgraded my VHF XTS5000 Mod 3 to firmware version 7.0 last week. It now shows 850 channels instead of 512. Thats a whole lot of channels to fill.

-Marc
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Anyone catch this in the CPS 7.0 readme?

Code: Select all

SWEET! Q53 on an XTS2500!
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

Also, just wanted to add that I can confirm that if an XTS5000 is programmed with firmware 7.0 and has Q52 in it, then no programming key/dongle is needed. Q53 does require a programming key/dongle with firmware 7.0

-Marc

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”