XTS5000 Channel Anouncement Question

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

XTS5000 Channel Anouncement Question

Post by Mfire39 »

So I’m in the process of setting up the channel announcement feature on my XTS5000 M3. It's running firmware 7 with CPS 7. I read through the CPS tutorial on the subject, and I think I understand the whole "creating a wav. file". So I found a website that turns text that you type into voice, and then it lets you save it as a wav file.

The problem I’m running into is when I try and point the CPS to the saved file in order to convert it to an mvf file. When I go into voice files compression, and set the input target to where my saved wav file is, the CPS can't find it. Could it be the attributes of the wav file that I created are not within the required parameters in order to locate the file and compress it? Any help would be great; I would really like to get this feature working on my 5000.

Thanks,

-Marc
kj7xe

Post by kj7xe »

In the 'voice files compression' dialog box, all you are doing is setting up the input and output folders for the batch compression - CPS will attempt to compress all of the wav files within the input folder and complain about the ones that won't work in a log file. The input file must end in .WAV and be encoded in the format specifically mentioned in the CPS. A radio must be connected to the machine to do this, as I've been told it uses the radio's vocoder to compress the file.
Mfire39 wrote:The problem I’m running into is when I try and point the CPS to the saved file in order to convert it to an mvf file. When I go into voice files compression, and set the input target to where my saved wav file is, the CPS can't find it. Could it be the attributes of the wav file that I created are not within the required parameters in order to locate the file and compress it? Any help would be great; I would really like to get this feature working on my 5000.

Thanks,

-Marc
Casey KJ7XE
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

Ok, that makes sense. I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the info,

-Marc
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

Got it all figured out and it's working great. I had the wav file attributes formatted wrong, and the file was too large to compress and turn it into a mvf file. All squared away. What a nice feature to have on the 5000!

Thanks,

-Marc
kj7xe

Post by kj7xe »

Yes, it was a great idea for /\/\ to add this feature. We have the option in all of our 2500s and 5000s and are in a testing stage with select users right now to see how they like it & get feedback on how we should tweak it.

IMO in the end, channel announcement should result in less confusion, and those users who don't like it will have the option to turn their 'tones' off via softkeys.

Example: one of the radio systems here has repeater names that are 'numbered' but the repeater number doesn't match the number on the channel dial. And since most LE personnel wear the radios on their belts, it's a pain to take the radio out of the holster just so they can see what channel they're on. This especially becomes a problem during an emergency when everything gets fast-paced and needs to stay simple, and for surveillance ops where you can't move much...

Also, there is no character limit on channel announcement. So for the users you can make sense out of the sometimes cryptic channel text by announcing what the channel is with no abbreviations. It all depends on how fast you can announce it without it being garbled or too long...
Mfire39 wrote:Got it all figured out and it's working great. I had the wav file attributes formatted wrong, and the file was too large to compress and turn it into a mvf file. All squared away. What a nice feature to have on the 5000!

Thanks,

-Marc
Casey KJ7XE
scoops

Post by scoops »

My voice announce still works even when I select mute.I have mute all tones selected under alert tones field. What am I missing?
Thanks
Chris
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

Anybody got any good sound files to share? I'm getting tired of listening to my own voice.

I'm sure there's some generic channel names that we all probably have in our radios.

On a side note, how is everybody recording their sound files? I'm using the internal mic on a laptop and the resulting files aren't great. I'm sure there's a much better way of doing it.
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

Yeah, that's the ticket!!
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

Sweet !!!! I see new ringtones for my V551 (to keep this post moto-related) :D
radioactive69

Post by radioactive69 »

To answer SCOOPS question:

I had the same problem occur on two firmware R04 XTS and I sent them in to the depot for repair. They replaced the RF module in one HT and gave me a whole new HT for the other one.

Seems like a major malfunction had occured in the RF module?

The HT's operated fine otherwise.
We are in the too much information age...
scoops

Post by scoops »

Mine is version 05.01.01. Guess they still have a bug .
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

Trying to program the xts5000 for channel announcement, not having any luck. I can't click on the channel announcement option under radiowide in the cps. does something else need to be done first in order for this option to open up.
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

What firmware version does your radio have??

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

FLASHCODE 100001-000002-5
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

How about the Firmware version??

-Marc

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

firmware says n/a when i read the radio. I was able to click on the announcement button , had to restart the software, now just loading a file, following the instructions. can't find the file threw the cps, the file is in my pc but when you load voice file in will not see it becasue it's not a MVF file
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

Firmware says N/A? Are you sure that is after you directly read the radio? If you just open a saved codeplug, it will not show the firmware version.

Anyway, what I was getting at is that you need firmware version R04.00.00 or higher for chan announcement to work.

-Marc

BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

under features it's says
firmware R09.00.01 cps r09.00.00
H35-conventional system operation
Q806-astro digital operation
Q446- channel announcement
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Post by PhillyPhoto »

BFD319 wrote:firmware says n/a when i read the radio. I was able to click on the announcement button , had to restart the software, now just loading a file, following the instructions. can't find the file threw the cps, the file is in my pc but when you load voice file in will not see it becasue it's not a MVF file
Press the button right above the PTT (..) 5 times after it does the self test, and it will scroll through all the info, and the Host should popup
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

firmware R09.00.01 cps r09.00.00

following the help steps just can't get the cps to find the wav file so i can load it
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

THIS WILL NOT DECODE MDC ID CORECT?

Options Installed on this Flashcode:

100001-000002-5

Q806/G806 IMBE / APCO-25 Digital Operation
H35/G48 Conventional Operation
1B2 Future System Enhancement
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Post by PhillyPhoto »

BFD319 wrote:THIS WILL NOT DECODE MDC ID CORECT?

100001-000002-5

Correct, it will not. You need:

H14/G114 Digital ID Display

Which translates to needing the first number to be at least a "4". If it's a "5" it will do IMBE as well...
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

Thanks the radio will do alias id though but will only read it threw the emergency button not just a normal transmit of the radio
libuff

Post by libuff »

is this feature a codeplug related feature, or within every xts5k irrespective of codeplug?
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

no clue, anyone able to add 14 voice files to my codeplug if I e-mail it.
Jason

Q446

Post by Jason »

It's not a codeplug or firmware based feature, like MDC is. It is a seperate flashport feature.

The good thing is though, that Q446 is bundled with Q806, at least as of the last year or two. If you order a radio with Astro Conventional Operation, channel annoucement is included. Early 5K's may vary I'd bet.

I am not sure about radios upgraded in the field, however. I have a feeling if you want it post-ship, you'll be paying, unless your rep will toss it in.
BFD319 wrote:THIS WILL NOT DECODE MDC ID CORECT?

100001-000002-5

I have a brand new XTS1500 here with a flashcode of 100001-000000-7. (F/W & host 9.00.01) It decodes MDC and ASTRO conventional ID's, and G114 is not an installed option. /\/\'s theory on this may have changed, and it is now an bundled feature. I am not sure about 5K's, (all of mine have G114) but the newer runs of 2500's and 1500's decode without the option installed.
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

Does it decode the mdc automaticaly or is the option in the software on or off. what I mean is if it can decode id's wair in the cps do I find that option to be turned on don't see it anywair. in my 3000 it clearly states under display and menu ptt id id display.
Jason

ptt id

Post by Jason »

It's under display settings, it has to be enabled to allow it to be displayed.

A 3000 isn't going to work like the Astro25 radios. Youll have to have G114.
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

Thanks for the help just double checked defently not an option quess you got luck on yours
libuff

Re: XTS5000 Channel Anouncement Question

Post by libuff »

got my 2500 to do the anouncement feature, although it is NOT listed on the Flashport, host 9.00.3 / dsp 9.00.2

although i had a couple of snags... i decided to only enable the option on all channels... use the AT&T website, but after 80 or so, the website started to append the wav files with "thank you for using at&t" lol..

then the radio would not read/write after doing a rather large conversion.. i found shutting it off and removing the battery reset this issue.. just incase anyone else runs into it...

does anybody know if there is any way to remove already imported mvf files?
WayneR

Post by WayneR »

Thought I would add channel announcement to several personalities for my XTS 5000 after reading this thread. After recording some .wav files using the AT&T text to voice site, I noticed it uses a sample rate of 16 khz. My CPS specifies you must use 8 khz. Will it work using 16 khz or is there some conversion necessary? :o

Thanks-

Wayne
* peace of christ *
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

I believe you can use Windows Media Player to convert the files into something CPS likes.
libuff

Post by libuff »

use sound recorder in yur windows accessories menu... u can setup all the specs for the wav file.. there is also a great program i found for like $20 that allowed me to do batch conversions.. HooTec wav to Mp3...
WayneR

Post by WayneR »

I was not able to locate a way to do the conversion with Windows Media Player (I have version 11) so I downloaded some freeware (Switch-Wavepad) and it solved my problem. :lol:

Thanks,

Wayne
* peace of christ *
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

anyone no if on a new xts5000 do you have to request the channel announcement software or is this a standard option now in the radio,?
NickH

Post by NickH »

BFD319 wrote:anyone no if on a new xts5000 do you have to request the channel announcement software or is this a standard option now in the radio,?
It used to be an option, now it comes standard when you order the Q806 (ASTRO CAI)

-Nick
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

Thanks for the help
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Re:

Post by fire_master_21 »

I know I pulled this topic from the dead, but I am having the same problem as Mfire39.

I have several xts5000's with HOST and DSP 9 and 12. All contain Q806 and Q446. I have made my .wav files all under the 58 kilobytes and are 8Khz and 16bit mono as well as being under the 32 character limit. CPS 12 complains about not seeing the files when I go to compress them (only have 2 in right now). I radios have been read and still hooked up while doing this, and also get the same thing with just a codeplug.

I then thought maybe I have to enable channel announcement under radio wide. When I try to enable the check box I get the little what's this glasses.

I have been working at this for hours now without success and have read every post relating to this I could find. Can someone shed some light on this for me.
kj7xe wrote:In the 'voice files compression' dialog box, all you are doing is setting up the input and output folders for the batch compression - CPS will attempt to compress all of the wav files within the input folder and complain about the ones that won't work in a log file. The input file must end in .WAV and be encoded in the format specifically mentioned in the CPS. A radio must be connected to the machine to do this, as I've been told it uses the radio's vocoder to compress the file.
Mfire39 wrote:The problem I’m running into is when I try and point the CPS to the saved file in order to convert it to an mvf file. When I go into voice files compression, and set the input target to where my saved wav file is, the CPS can't find it. Could it be the attributes of the wav file that I created are not within the required parameters in order to locate the file and compress it? Any help would be great; I would really like to get this feature working on my 5000.

Thanks,

-Marc
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

Well after some time away from this (I was fixing to throw my laptop out the window) I came back and looked at it with fresh eyes. I saw I forgot to turn on the channel announcement read and write box under the view and options tab. I now have it working.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”