Partitioning program thats bootable from CD

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Victor Xray

Partitioning program thats bootable from CD

Post by Victor Xray »

I have a new laptop that has no floppy drive. I'd like to repartition the HD and start over with a new OS. Are there any free re-partitioning programs that can be burned to and booted from CD?
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

any live CD... knoppix...the slackware install CD...
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Partitioning program thats bootable from CD

Post by wavetar »

Victor Xray wrote:I have a new laptop that has no floppy drive. I'd like to repartition the HD and start over with a new OS. Are there any free re-partitioning programs that can be burned to and booted from CD?
You can easily create a bootable CD with the same fdisk & other tools normally on a Win98SE boot floppy. Most current burning programs such as Nero can make any CD bootable by selecting the "make bootable" option, so you simply take the files from a boot floppy, & burn them like so. I have a Win98SE bootable CD which I use as it's soooo much faster than using the floppy.

Otherwise, you can also create a "UBCD", or "Ultimate Boot CD" freely and it'll have many, many disk partition & recovery tools on it:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

wavetar is correct--you can make a bootable CD from a Whenhoed98 startup disk, but my question is, WHAT are you going to install?

Some install CD's when properly made, such as a Linux download, ARE bootable, and so are "some" Whinehozed CD's.

The so called "OEM" Windows 98 CD's boot, they say on the front "for distribution only with a new PC."

I'm sure the same is true of Windows ME.

I'm sure AT LEAST the same is true of W2K. (I don't have any "retail" versions of ME or W2K.

ALL CD's, even upgrades, of XP will boot.

NONE of the windows98 upgrades, boot, and so far as I know, none of the Windows98 "retail" cds boot. These say "for PC's without Windows" on the front.

So far as I know, NONE of the Windows95 cd's boot, unless maybe some proprietary "restore" or "recovery" cd's.

In fact, I just bought a "rare" Gateway CD that yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, has DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 on CD. I wasted no time in making a boot image and burned a copy. So now I have DOS 6.22, and WFW that will boot, and install from CD.

Additionally, when I first got my hands on a Windows ME machine, used, it had the "cab" files on the hard drive, but no CD. I was able to "burn" a CD that would boot--from a '98 startup, burned the \Install (cabs) folder to the cd along with a few other handy items, and "made" a CD that will do a clean install of ME. Not only that, but there is AT LEAST room to make a single, bootable CD that will install ME or 98, and, I believe, 95 as well.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”