Installation $$ rates

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Installation $$ rates

Post by nmfire10 »

I have the opportunity to take some installation work coming up. I've never actually had to sit down and make some real estimates and bill for hours. The work I've done in the past has been very casual or a services for services trade (I'll do your lights, you landscape my mom's house for example). This has to be more realistic.

So what is the general going rate for installations? This will before lights/sirens only. No radios.

Thanks!
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
High_order1

Post by High_order1 »

Well, you have to factor in a bunch of things. Your liability insurance, cost of shop bay rental space, do you need to purchase special tools like glow rods or crimping frames?

Then, you have to decide how much of a pain in the ass the install would be, and how valuable the customer is going to be (is this the first of 300 potential installs, or is this bastard going to change what he wants four times, want to watch while you work, wants it yesterday, but wants you to put a handicap placard in it and give him a 75% discount)?

Then you have to factor in your own abilities. Do you have good working knowledge of the products you're going to install, and know how to make a clean, safe install, or do you think electrical tape and scotchloks are your best friend?

Finally, you have to call around to the other shops and see what they charge. Unless you are a miracle worker, or can do special installs, you prolly won't last long charging more than your local big radio shop / emergency equipment upfitter.

....... so I hear....

-Shawn
commtek
Batboard $upporter

Re: Installation $$ rates

Post by commtek »

$66.00 per hour here. Factors in insurance, etc.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

It is all about what the market will bear. I have seen local MSS charge up to $140/hr, and that's portal-to-portal to boot. But that's also in Los Angeles, where the cost of doing business is probably significantly higher than your location.
smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Post by smokeybehr »

When I was doing installs, I was charging a flat rate of $75 for a single radio or phone kit, and $50 for each additional radio installed, or removal for reinstallation. I never did lights/sirens, but I'd probably do the same rates for each set of lights (lightbar, strobes, or deck lamps) or siren. I didn't have my own shop, but I worked with another company doing mainly mobile installs, and when I had an extended install, I'd do it out of my garage at home.
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”