BMS-Plus (WPLN4079BR) Charger question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Splat

BMS-Plus (WPLN4079BR) Charger question

Post by Splat »

So I picked up a Mot WPLN4079BR BMS-Plus system a while back and finally getting around to using it. It's at firmware v9.3. Everything appears to function correctly, but when inserting a NiMH battery into any of the 6 charging stations/cups it never displays the "H" that indicates a NiMH battery. We've tried it with three different NiMH batteries and it never shows the "H". It seems to charge them fine, but I wonder if there's a problem with the unit or that s/w revision. Anyone know? Thanks.
“If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as a sorry state as the souls who live under tyranny.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Splat

Re: BMS-Plus (WPLN4079BR) Charger question

Post by Splat »

Well, I finally got my fat arse into gear and called Itech's tech support. Here's the info I got from John @ Itech. It may help anybody else out there that has the same question I had.

If there is NO thermistor built into the battery the unit WILL display the "H". The "H" designates that there is no thermistor present and the thermistor clip should be applied to the battery. Now, I don't have a thermistor clip so I've no clue what it looks like. I also don't believe I've ran across a NiMH pack without a thermistor built in since that's a temp indicator to the charging unit. (or am I wrong on that?)

Also, the latest revision for the BMS-Plus is 9.5. Beginning with 9.3 you can charge Li-Ion batteries but you need an Li-Ion adapter plate for each charge station/cup. Cheers.
-
Splat
“If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as a sorry state as the souls who live under tyranny.”
― Thomas Jefferson
misawatech

Post by misawatech »

I think he is mistaken. Like you said there are thermistors built into most batteries to tell the system when they are charged. The H will not appear on the display unless you connect the adapter to the battery. I don't have apic handy but if you want I can take one and post. The NiMH adapter should be connected to your slot adapter for the charger. If it isn't then it may have been removed. Make sure that the adpater you have is not just for Nicd. There may be a label, where you insert the battery, stating Nicd battery only. If not then then the label for the adpater should say xts3000 Nicd, or xts 3000 Nicd, Nimh.

You didn't say which type of radio battery you are charging. Is it xts or saber? I have adpaters for both and can take pics of the H adapter if you need them. Can also provide part numbers of the some of the associated adapters.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Digging up this old thread because we found that we did have the NiCd charging adapters. The "tech" at Itech was wrong and this has been confirmed with Craig, the head of tech support at Itech. It's no longer an issue for us since we went back to just NiCD packs. If you have one of these chargers you can remove the charging adapters from their slots and confirm via part# what they can charge.
― Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”