ML900 Screams

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kf4mgu
New User

ML900 Screams

Post by kf4mgu »

I've had the ML900 in the car for about three months. I'm starting to see the lookup problems that others are experiencing. I have an additional problem of an ear piercing tone going off when I try to turn the laptop on. The screen stays black and the only way to control the tone is to hold the on button until the laptop powers off. It does it on battery, in the docking station, or on AC. It screams so loud you have to stop everything and shut it down. The first time it happened I about wrecked, it scared the crap out of me. Any body else experienced the TONE?
alex
Administrator

Re: ML900 Screams

Post by alex »

It may be the hard drive heater. I forget how to disable it, but I know sometimes the MW in the truck won't turn on for a few minutes while the HD comes up to temperature. I had a friend with a ML who had a lot of random problems with it, and it had to do with the heater.

-alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
kf4mgu
New User

Post by kf4mgu »

Thanks for the input. I wish I could retrieve my missing reports from it that are floating around in space. Trying to see if it can be shipped back to Motorola for a little warranty work.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

The loud tone when you turn an ML900 on is usually caused by a loose memory module.
kf4mgu
New User

Post by kf4mgu »

Finally got the Motorola answer:

Reimaged HDD due to missing driver, reseated and cleaned ram contacts. Upgraded keyboard bios. No parts replaced.

At least it's working again.

Tim KF4MGU

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”