MT1500 Fire Service

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KDN

MT1500 Fire Service

Post by KDN »

With the assistance of a few people from my local county and fire deparments, we are putting in a large grant for new radio equipment. Being a huge HT1000 and MT2000 user and having a bunch of them in service, it seems that our best bet will be MT1500's 48 Channel with limited Display. Does anyone have these radios in use in the public safety field and what are you thoughts on them?

Thanks for the Help.....
alex
Administrator

Re: MT1500 Fire Service

Post by alex »

They are built the same way the XTS1500/XTS2500's are built. They are a first cousin of a XTS5000 radio. If you have the option, I suggest buying an XTS1500 instead of the MT1500. The reason being is although they are IDENTICAL on the inside, the MT has a limited upgrade path. For example, you can not upgrade a MT1500 to P25. While you may not have intentions of using that feature today, spending a little extra to get a radio that is at least upgradeable to more mainstream features would be a benefit tomorrow.

There's already been one instance on this forum where someone bought at bunch of MT's, and was then told by Motorola that they had to buy all new XTS"s because they needed one additional feature. If I can find the post, I'll update the thread with a link.

Good luck on your quest!

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You are incorrect Alex, the MT1500 can be upgraded to P25, as per this thread:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 00+upgrade

You even posted the features it could get upgraded with...seems you've forgotten!

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

wavetar wrote:You are incorrect Alex, the MT1500 can be upgraded to P25, as per this thread:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 00+upgrade

You even posted the features it could get upgraded with...seems you've forgotten!

Todd
Holy crap... talk about a good brain fart on my part!

The MT1500's are sold as 800mhz only, while physically capable of doing both 700 and 800 mhz. So you can not use a out of the box MT1500 on 700mhz.

If that's an issue for you, then buy the XTS1500, which is identical, just the software says "oh yeah, you can do 700 too!"

Thanks for the correction Todd... In the end, that might have been the thread I was trying to think of.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
KDN

Post by KDN »

Looking a little deeper into the past postings, it seems that the MT1500 does not decode MDC on the radio, a feature that would be benifical to incident commanders! It also seems with the XTS1500 you have 96 channels as compared to the MT1500 you only have 48. Does anyone have a price difference for the XTS1500 and MT1500???? What is a XTS1500 going for???
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

The XTS1500 is a great radio if you want to spend $1500 for a basic two-way radio and needlessly spend money on features that you don't need or won't ever use.

I don't see why fire service needs a display. I don't even see why you'd need more than 16 channels, other than on command vehicles and for brass. You certainly won't (or at least, shouldn't) be using P25 on the fireground.

You can get 2 1/2 PR860s for the cost of an XTS1500, and their warranty is twice as long. Motorola will soon be offering an extended warranty that covers physical and liquid damage on Professional Series radios, so any concerns about "inferior construction" are thrown out the door.

If you are insistent upon having a display, you can go with an HT1250 that has 128 channels and still get two for the cost of one XTS1500.

Also keep in mind you get to buy the charger for the MT1500 separately. It's not included in the purchase price. Same goes for every Astro radio.

Some food for thought.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

We have some of our beach based lifeguards equipped with the MT1500's and they are wearing very well even with all the salt water and air around them.
The others that are out there (LTS2000's and EJF 7780's) are nothing but headaches to maintain.

Mark
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

MT1500's decode MDC ID's just fine on the display..

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
RESCUEMAN433

Post by RESCUEMAN433 »

I just ordered 10 xts1500 vhf portables with the enhanced p25 conventional software, there was only like a $40.00 price increase on these from the mt1500's but we did purchase off of state contract. I think we gave around $1100.00 per radio.

-Adam

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”