Cool P25 product...convert your repeater now

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wavetar
Administrator

Cool P25 product...convert your repeater now

Post by wavetar »

I hadn't seen this before. JPS/Raytheon makes a controller which can turn just about any legacy analog repeater into a P25 capable repeater. Even better, a single controller can convert up to 4 repeaters. It will also do mixed mode. This is a potentially much lower cost alternative than purchasing new P25 repeaters.

http://www.jps.com/page/view/229
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Cool P25 product...convert your repeater now

Post by Wowbagger »

Interesting. I wonder how the get the channel equalization correct to get a good modulation fidelity - is it just a "tweak it until it looks good" or do they have some form of built-in test where you feed a known good signal into the RX and it adjusts, then you feed the TX into the RX and adjust.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
txshooter

Post by txshooter »

If this works it will be great....I have a MSF5000 I would love to put back on the air!!!
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
RKG

Post by RKG »

Approx cost (1 card)?
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

Experienced Provider of Useless Information
Dan562
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, Motorola

Post by Dan562 »

Not exactly a Plug and Play if you have to ship your Base Station / Repeater to JPS / Raytheon for the conversion. I wonder how this box decrypts P25 Digital signal to an Analog Disapatch Console? And how would it handle the Encrypted / Decrypted P25 signals at an Analog Dispatch Console? I wonder how the Wisconsin State Police are evaluating this Base Station and P25CC Interface modification?
Mraudio
What radios do you own?: Quantar/AS/A-spec./VertexP25

Post by Mraudio »

I talked to them at IWCE about this, yes they require they do the install on it. Only a few radios are "type accepted" with the convert done, not that it matters on HAM stuff but they still refuse to do it unless its accepted. I had discussed this with them on my true UHF GeMaster II and they were interested in guiny pig-ing it untill I told em I wasent planning on paying $11,700 for the unit. Thats list for one repeater, the box is capable of 4 repeaters or base stations to one rack unit, however for $11,700.00 or dealer $8700 , its still not that cheep. I have found used Quantars for less money. So for what its worth...its an etherstack witha JPS tag on it.
Jeff

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”