Saber differences (III and System)

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firebuff17

Saber differences (III and System)

Post by firebuff17 »

I am sorry if this has been beaten on but I couldnt figure out the search feature ( too late and I am to tired) but I am trying ti fugure out the syatem saber and saber III. I am looking for 120 channels conventional, scan, and able to break it down to zones. I know the III will do it but didnt find definate info on the system saber. Will be operating on the 70cm band.
Thank you
libuff

Re: Saber differences (III and System)

Post by libuff »

i'm nearly positive that the Systems saber is a 16 channel by x zones, and the saber III is 12 channels x zones... also, systems saber was made for trunking i believe, but can be used without..

i'm sure theres more, but as you said, its early int he AM and i can't think totally straight...
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

firebuff17 wrote:I am looking for 120 channels conventional, scan, and able to break it down to zones.

Some Saber IIs can also do 120Ch if with scan and zones, but only if it's an 8K. The 2K version will only do 36-48ch (depending on scan). I have one Saber II that I use every day, it lives in my truck. I just bought an extra (both VHF though)....

BUT with the saber II you cannot change scanlists or such, I have a III case that I will use to change mine into a III (it's a III under the case) but it's been awhile and I seem to do ok as it is.

Systems sabers do up to 255ch (16 if model 1)
Saber III is conventional only, while the systems do trunking also.

If size matters 8) you can find a non-secure saber that will be a little bit shorter than the secure size (all systems sabers are secure size). You won't lose much height, but it might be just enough depending on how you wear your radio.

Oh, different software for sabers and systems sabers too.
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

Oh, here's a page with some info that is not listed on batlabs.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... index.html
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

If you have the chance to get a System Saber versus a regular Saber, do it. It's a vastly superior radio in terms of programming and features (keypad-programmable scanlists AND alpha channel/zone names?? lawd's a mercy), but the RF guts, antennas, and knobs are totally interchangeable with regular Sabers so you can hock parts from lesser radios to keep 'em going.
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

Forgot to mention that one button scan of the systems saber is nice compaired to the three to four step button presses of the saber to scan.
firebuff17

Post by firebuff17 »

thank you everyone.
I read the page from repeater-builder, but it didnt say much about the system saber other than up to 255 channels and can do analog trunking.
Sounds like the system saber is better, front face user selectable scan list and one button scan.
thank you again.
Josh S.
VFF/EMT
WQEU232
CAPTLPOL
On Moderation

Post by CAPTLPOL »

What is a good price for one and is their anything to look for to stay away from?
VoIP BAT-6996
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

The majority of the UHF Systems saber you see on Ebay are 403-433 as the feds were the only ones at the time that used a trunking UHF system. The VHF are mostly wide split and have been programmed in tht 157-173 range But they will program down without much trouble. If they are the low split they can be converted with a few modules and a new codeplug and alignment

Prices vary dependant on if the come with acc's

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”