Desktop PC Card adapters?

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Desktop PC Card adapters?

Post by Pj »

Looking for a pc card adapter for the home computer. I am finding plenty of PCI/rear adapters, but I am looking for something that I can have in the front of the case (for front access. PITA to be in the rear)!

Anyone know of a make/model?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Re: Desktop PC Card adapters?

Post by JAYMZ »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820128003

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820128002

Those are the only 2 that I found. Once of them doesn't have a good review, but there are a TON of the PCI slot type adapters. You may want to improvise, adapt and overcome and just deal with it being in the back of the PC.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

That first link is a reader... designed for flash cards in the PC Card form factor, not for a typical Cardbus PC Card. Yes, there were full-sized PC Card flash cards back in the day, before CF/SD/etc. came along.

You can't find a USB/Firewire --> PC Card converter for a reason. PC Cards sit on the expansion bus directly - the Cardbus variety (pretty much all of them these days) even support bus mastering, where the card talks directly to other devices on the bus without going through the CPU. Also, a Cardbus interface running DWord mode has throughput of 132MB/sec, clearly faster than the USB/1394 specs out there right now.

Like Jaymz said - adapt, improvise, overcome. It's gonna need to connect to the PCI bus and, while they do make extender cards for PCI, you don't want to be trying to use one in production.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

I don't know about a PCI interface, but I've got one here that's ISA interface with a design like you're looking for. It has a card that plugs into a standard ISA slot, and has a cable that goes to a chassis that goes in a 3.5" drive bay, or a 5.25" with an included adapter, and has two PC card slots. I don't know if its actually PCMCIA or Cardbus. There isn't really any information on it but an FCC ID number, LNQ750826. It also has a standard four-pin Molex plug on the back to accept a harddrive-type power plug. I don't have, nor have any idea about, drivers for it. If you can use it, make me an offer, for cash or trade. Hopefully, you can find some info on it via the FCC ID number.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

What's the use case?

Post by Wowbagger »

What are you trying to accomplish? What kind of device do you want to plug in to your computer?

If all you want is to write to a PCMCIA 2.0 Flash device, then a simple ISA adapter will do the job.

If you want to access a PCMCIA 2.0 Serial card, again, a simple ISA device will do.

If you are trying to access a Cardbus device - that gets tricky. Plain old PCMCIA 2.0 is basically an ISA protocol, running at 8MHz signaling - not hard to remote. Cardbus is more of a PCI type interface and runs much faster, and is therefor harder to remote.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Just go to Verizon and buy the USB stick modem :)

I thought you had that one anyway - or maybe you returned it.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

alex wrote:Just go to Verizon and buy the USB stick modem :)

I thought you had that one anyway - or maybe you returned it.

-Alex
Nope... buy a Junxion Box or Kyocera KR1 and run Ethernet to it. Much more useful.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

I found some information on the PC card adapter I posted about earlier. It can be found HERE.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

tvsjr wrote:That first link is a reader... designed for flash cards in the PC Card form factor, not for a typical Cardbus PC Card. Yes, there were full-sized PC Card flash cards back in the day, before CF/SD/etc. came along.
Huh, ain't that something. All I did was search PCMCIA and picked a few results. I guess it pays to read once in a while.

But like Terry said earlier... go for the Junxion Box type solution. An ambulance service that I know of uses those in every truck for their CF18 ePCR tablets that they are using now. At least with that it is also portable and scalable as well. And it's convenient because I have the security key for the APs too. Need quick internet? Go find an ambulance. :lol:
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”