NO COMMS vs OUT OF RANGE

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

NO COMMS vs OUT OF RANGE

Post by Pj »

Saw this on a XTS3K the other day for the first time when the radio was out of range. I also saw the out of range message. Radio has current firmware. Prior to seeing this message it had 7.x/7.x FW.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: NO COMMS vs OUT OF RANGE

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Pj,

Out of range of what? How do it know?

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Pj

Post by Pj »

800MHz radio, TRS...sorry :)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

OUT OF RANGE - Radio cannot hear the control channel
NO COMMS - Radio can hear the control channel, but the control channel isnt acknowledging the ISWs from the radio

In other words, NO COMMS typically means the system isnt hearing the radio, but the radio is hearing the system
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

grem467 wrote:
In other words, NO COMMS typically means the system isnt hearing the radio, but the radio is hearing the system
Yep, you often see that message if the power amp is bad...lots of RX signal, no TX power to answer. But it can be seen in regular use as well.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

grem467 wrote:OUT OF RANGE - Radio cannot hear the control channel
NO COMMS - Radio can hear the control channel, but the control channel isnt acknowledging the ISWs from the radio

Also seen NO COMMS appear on a radio thats trying to tx on a site in ASTRO and the site doesnt have any ASTRO bases. (3600 system)
Pj

Post by Pj »

Ok, that makes sense. I assume this was added towards the end of the firmware releases...as I never saw it before in the same poor coverage areas prior to the upgrade. I never noticed it in any docs.

FTR:7.71.06/8.03.05
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

Pj wrote:Ok, that makes sense. I assume this was added towards the end of the firmware releases...as I never saw it before in the same poor coverage areas prior to the upgrade. I never noticed it in any docs.

FTR:7.71.06/8.03.05
It's called something like "imbalanced coverage indicator" and has been a part of the ASTRO25 Line for a while. It's a good thing to have as it will let you know if you can respond to what you're hearing.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Interesting

Post by Wowbagger »

That's interesting, because I've not seen that message yet, and I have had cases where the radio was hearing the control channel but the CC was not responding to the radio (I had a bug in the control channel state machine code that prevented it from responding to the radio.).

But yes, it is possible in both Smartnet and APCO-25 for a control channel to exist, and even accept the radio's registration, but be signaling that voice channels are not supported on that system. I would expect a "NO COMMS" message in that condition as well.

I'll have to try that out sometime with the APX radios we have - they have pretty much the latest software from Motorola (as we get updates as soon as the Motorola engineers have something stable, and even sometimes before it is stable :0 )
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
RKG

Re: Interesting

Post by RKG »

Wowbagger wrote:(as we get updates as soon as the Motorola engineers have something stable . . . )
At that rate, your mailman doesn't work very hard.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

RKG wrote:
Wowbagger wrote:(as we get updates as soon as the Motorola engineers have something stable . . . )
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

So, that lets me out.

Besides, you left out the rest of the quote....
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
RKG

Post by RKG »

Wowbagger wrote:
RKG wrote:
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

So, that lets me out.

Besides, you left out the rest of the quote....
I don't want to get into a serious debate about how software should be and is developed; I got a chuckle out of your observation and the thought of reciprocating.

That said, I do not and did not mean to say that everyone must always be perfect, a standard that I myself cannot live up to. But there is a difference between making honest mistakes and employing what after a while appears to be a deliberate policy of publishing unfinished stuff and conscripting the paying customers to function as your proofreaders and QC staff.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”