Motorola R2200A help

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

xxx2fan
What radios do you own?: HT750 Ht1250 CDM1250 CDM1550

Motorola R2200A help

Post by xxx2fan »

I have a R2200A that I got from ebay. The unit powers up but after about 30 seconds or so it shuts down. When it is powered up the lcd displays read. After it is off for a while it powers back up and does the same thing shuts down.
I got an operators manual and service manual with this unit.
Could some one point me in a direction to start to look for the trouble with it. The unit does not blow the fuse, it just shuts down.

Thanks for any help

2fan
d119

Re: Motorola R2200A help

Post by d119 »

I'd take a guess you've got issues with the capacitors in the power supplies. I've got one here doing the same thing, and it has swollen caps.
xxx2fan

Post by xxx2fan »

Thanks
I'll start with looking at the caps and testing them.
Again thanks a million for the advice.
2fan
xxx2fan

Post by xxx2fan »

Wanted to let every know the outcome of the R2200A.

Found C-18 1000 cap bad it was bridged with two lower value units. Installed correct cap.
Found C-20 .015 cap bad

Also found someone had attempted repair < this unit came from ebay > and theboard was burnt and jumpers on it. Repaired board, with jumpers with them glued down so the don't move.
There was some solder bridging from the attempted repair. cleaned up those, aslo therewas lots of flux left on the board. Cleaned up all the flux. As I've found flux will cause lots of problems later if not at the time repairs are done.

Unit power up and has been running great for approx 10 hours now. With power up's and downs durning this period.

Thanks for the help with this unit to everyone.
Was great to have the service manual that came with the unit.

Thanks again to all
2fan
xmo

Post by xmo »

It's a great feeling when you win one and successfully restore a fine piece of equipment to proper operation!
xxx2fan

Post by xxx2fan »

I have another question about this unit.
The ANTENNA in fuse behind the BNC connector is it the same fuse as used in the R2008 unit. the 1/8 pico fuse.
I do have the operators manual and the service manual for the R2200A, which I've been through and through and I am unable to locate the fuse in the manual.
Could someone please let me know the fuse and another supplier if possible. I would like to have a couple of these on hand just incase .

Thanks for any information

Also If someone knows what section of the Service manual this part may be located would be great.

Thanks again
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

xxx2fan wrote:I have another question about this unit.
The ANTENNA in fuse behind the BNC connector is it the same fuse as used in the R2008 unit. the 1/8 pico fuse.
I do have the operators manual and the service manual for the R2200A, which I've been through and through and I am unable to locate the fuse in the manual.
Could someone please let me know the fuse and another supplier if possible. I would like to have a couple of these on hand just incase .

Thanks for any information

Also If someone knows what section of the Service manual this part may be located would be great.

Thanks again
The fuse is a 1/8 A same as the R2000D series. The schematic for the RF I/O module or else the front panel should show the antenna port.
Dave
xxx2fan

Post by xxx2fan »

Thanks a bunch for the info
I will get a few on the shelf here just in case I would blow one with a close by rf signal.
Good to know there are people here that are willing to help.

Thanks again
2fan

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”