Difference between Visar Chargers?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

GJ

Difference between Visar Chargers?

Post by GJ »

Hello people!
Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the small NTN8076A and the slightly bigger NTN8375A charger?
They both can hold two battery's but can only charge one battery at the time.
I wonder if there is any difference in how the battery is charged, do they both use the same type of charging or is one charger a bit better than the other one?
I like the bigger charger a bit better, it hold's the battery tighter then the little charger, look's better made also.
NTN8076A

NTN8375A

Thanks,
GJ.
Will

Re: Difference between Visar Chargers?

Post by Will »

They both will overcharge your battery if you leave it in there for more than an hour or two after the Green LED goes on.

I do know the larger charger works with the high capacity NiMh battery.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Actually... stay far away from any "A" revision Visar chargers of the 8375 type. I believe they only charged NiCDs, and overcharged them at that. The "B" revision introduced NiMH, but it also overcharged them. I don't believe it was totally corrected until the "D" revision, but I would stay with the newer NTN8076x series anyways.
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Post by MotoFAN »

Rayjk110 wrote:Actually... stay far away from any "A" revision Visar chargers of the 8375 type. I believe they only charged NiCDs, and overcharged them at that. The "B" revision introduced NiMH, but it also overcharged them. I don't believe it was totally corrected until the "D" revision, but I would stay with the newer NTN8076x series anyways.
What is the B/D revisions? NTN8375 never had B, C or D suffxes. Just NTN8375A. But rear mfg. of them (I can't recall name of company) use numeric revisions, like is REV:01, REV:02 and REV:03.
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.
BobL
What radios do you own?: Astro Saber VHF & UHF

Post by BobL »

Hello to everyone on the group! After doing some extensive research, I am unable to determine what is the best charger for a Visar Nickel Metal Hydride battery. I currently have two different Visar chargers. The first one is a NTN8375A (REV:3), the second is a NTN7510C (REV:2). They both look the same. For what I could gather reading above, the NTN8375A will charge the NiMH battery. However, it suffers from over charging if you leave the battery in the charger for more than one hour after it goes green. So back to my original question(s):

1. What would be the best charger to purchase for the Visar NiMH battery?

2. Is there a charger on the market that will charge all three chemistry Ni Cad, NiMH and Li-on?

3. Is there a cup available that I could use in a Clam Shell charger WPLN4114AR (V3.90) to charge my Visar batteries?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bob
It makes perfect sense, if you don't think about it...
MotoFAN

Post by MotoFAN »

BobL wrote:3. Is there a cup available that I could use in a Clam Shell charger WPLN4114AR (V3.90) to charge my Visar batteries?
Yes, it's exist.
Will

Post by Will »

This is what we are using for most applications. They do tri-chem.

http://www.impactcomms.com/product_info ... ucts_id=38

And this in the trucks:

http://www.impactcomms.com/product_info ... ucts_id=37
MotoFAN

Post by MotoFAN »

Why to use Chinese stuff if genuine Motorola products is still available from Motorola and off eBay for a grab prices?
CircleBat

Post by CircleBat »

those impact chargers has a high failure rate.. stay away from them!!!
Will

Post by Will »

CircleBat wrote:those impact chargers has a high failure rate.. stay away from them!!!
We have not had any problems with them.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”