How close is Motorola's r765IS to a real radio/

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

poser

Post by poser »

Looks like it's based off a european spec Moto radio (TETRA?), I just put a name on it?
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: How close is Motorola's r765IS to a real radio/

Post by Tom in D.C. »

For anyone who cares (I don't), here is the only URL on Google in English for the radio:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/07/moto ... making-na/
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

That is the new iDEN unit for Nextel, or any other iDEN/Harmony system. IIRC the price is around $1800.00. It looks like the iDEN best unit since the R750. The non-IS will do 1 watt, the IS is .6.

Here are some links

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/tag/r765is/

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Bus ... ocaleId=33

Jim
Last edited by n7maq on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zack08

Post by Zack08 »

For an IDEN unit, that thing looks pretty cool. (I think.) Very TETRA-ish.

Although, with a pricetag like that, I'm curious to see how popular it becomes.
ads47

Post by ads47 »

I have been messing around with one lately. For the very narrow market it was designed for it will be a great device. For the average joe or enthusiast its a waste of money.

ads
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Accoding to the spec sheet, this radio covers 902-928 mHz, but I couldn't figure out what mode is uses for this coverage. There is another spec mentioned for the 800/900 band above and below the ham "range" but 902-928 is separately listed. Anybody figure out if it will do analog 902-928? (Of course, with GTX H11W radios going for under a hundred bucks nobody is going to buy this new unit just for 900 mHz but it's still the first Motorola I've seen that does 902-928 out of the box, whatever the mode.)
Tom in D.C.
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

I suspect that it does Direct Talk. Others here can describe it better than I can, but I think it is essentially a digital spread spectrum simplex mode. I think the FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum) happens pretty rapidly. I doubt that it will do analog but then again I certainly have been wrong before.
loband
What radios do you own?: APX7500 plus too many to list

Post by loband »

I just bought one of these a week ago to replace my 8 year old r750, it is an awsome radio/phone. I'll try to answer any questions on the unit.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I had the opportunity to play with one the other day. They look pretty solid, but they use all of the HT750/1250/1550 accessories. Didn't get a chance to really play with how the audio sounded, but I did get a fancy t-shirt with a picture of the phone.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
loband
What radios do you own?: APX7500 plus too many to list

Post by loband »

Alex, do you have any more information on the accessories, I'm having a very hard time trying to locate stuff for the r765. Thanks, Rob
ads47

Post by ads47 »

Most of the Waris acces. should work without a problem.

ads
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Hello all consumers, and end users, and those new to communications,

The subject of this post is most comical to me (and I am sure others in the know) and displays the non-scientific/non-technical nature that this board has become and come to attract.

NEWS FLASH: Anything wireless is a radio.

A radio has nothing to do with shape, antenna, PTT or no PTT, or anything related to FORM FACTOR or what you see with your eyes/touch with your hands.

It has to do with what is inside it. Does it have a transceiver inside? Yes.

Therefore this is VERY close to being a real radio. Infact it IS a real radio. As real of a radio as a Micor, or Saber, or XTS, or a TalkAbout, or a CB.

My garage door opener is a real radio too and so is the keyless entry to your automobile too.

Your television set is a real radio receiver! So is your Laptop with built in 2.4GHz transceiver!

All have a radio transceiver inside. Whether LMR radios, Marine, Air, WiFi, PCS, etc.

Perhaps we were trying to ask how this model handset compares to those found in FCC service of Land Mobile Radio vs. PCS radio service?

That is more of a marketing / Madison ave question which deals with end user perspective.

Everything these days is a radio, its about how you use it and what form it takes.

This is why I am just trying to eliminate much of the confusion caused by the title.

I want to make sure we are all on the same page, understand the fundamentals of electronics to hopefully to build/rear a smarter Batlabber and hobbyist.

After all, thats what the BatBoard is all about.

Steve - KJ4MDZ

http://www.criticalrf.com
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

/\/\y 2 cents wrote:This is why I am just trying to eliminate much of the confusion caused by the title.

I want to make sure we are all on the same page, understand the fundamentals of electronics to hopefully to build/rear a smarter Batlabber and hobbyist.
And Steve fails yet again... spam that URL out there some more, dude! :roll:
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

"The subject of this post is most comical to me (and I am sure others in the know) and displays the non-scientific/non-technical nature that this board has become and come to attract."

Gee.. I'm glad we are blessed with your knowlege that your so much better than the average Ham or hobbyist..
Last edited by FireCpt809 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
WB6DGN

Post by WB6DGN »

Hello all consumers, and end users, and those new to communications,
NUTS! I could have sworn I clicked on "Batboard" NOT eHam. Guess I'd better edit my "Favorites" list. Any advice on that, Steve???

Tom DGN
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Steve it's not a PCS handset, it's iDEN...I'd figure you'd know the difference between part 80 and part 90...but I digress...just more mumblings from someone who fits the stereotype of the atypical know-it-all elitist ham...
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Hi MTS2000 DES,

Whether iDEN or PCS ALL of them are still a radio because they are wireless.

This fact has nothing to do with FCC Part XXXX legislation. Anything that falls under FCC Part XX is a radio.

It has to do with TX'ing and RX'ing on a frequency or frequencies. All radios either transmit, receive, or both (known as a transceiver).

Also, I have a feeling we are all a little bit elitist because we fancy Moto, thats why we are here right?

The r765IS is definitely a real radio because it transmits and receives, but it makes a very poor handset/terminal for the price because the mode used between the terminal and base/repeater is an interim over the air/singalling technology (iDEN)that has seen its heyday for a Radio Access Network (RAN).

I would say the Motorola/Symbol MC75 on EvDO or LTE is a better radio for the price.

http://www.motorola.com/content.jsp?glo ... 8866-11220

As Bob Dylan said "the times they are a changin"

Steve Calabrese

www.criticalrf.com
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

All of you should go back and read the Forum rules on insults and flaming, so before this whole topic gets any sillier it's locked.
Tom in D.C.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”