Trouble programming buttons on xtl1500

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

quint 18

Trouble programming buttons on xtl1500

Post by quint 18 »

Hello all

I am having some issues programming the control head buttons on an xtl1500. all of the buttons seem to be grayed out and I can not see the drop down menu.
I suspect that you may have to add them some where but I have no clue where or how. Looked all the normal places and I am using 14.0 astro25 mobile

Thanks

Frederick C Kinder
Jim202

Re: Trouble programming buttons on xtl1500

Post by Jim202 »

Read the radio with the computer.

Click on the + of the "Radio Configuration".

Click on the + of the "Controls".

Click on the "Display Menu".

Then select the "Menu Items" tab.
You can scroll down the list until you find the selection you want. Then select the "Add" and
it will put that over on the right side.

A note here, that some of the menu items you select will or will not show up on the control head
depending on the features you have selected for the zone the head is currently set in. An
example would be the "DIR" selection. If you don't have a repeater pair set in the channel
(mode) your on, the direct button selection will not show up. Same with scan. If you don't
have any channels in the zone set up in a scan list, the "SCAN" button will not be displayed.

It may seem like it is some what confusing, but then you have to look at the frame of mind
people that wrote the software. Like in Motorola, you can have only 12 settings in the
operator multi PL list. Yet in a Kenwood radio, they give you a list that can have 40 selections.

Jim

quint 18 wrote:Hello all

I am having some issues programming the control head buttons on an xtl1500. all of the buttons seem to be grayed out and I can not see the drop down menu.
I suspect that you may have to add them some where but I have no clue where or how. Looked all the normal places and I am using 14.0 astro25 mobile

Thanks

Frederick C Kinder
quint 18

Post by quint 18 »

Ok Jim we will try and let ya know that sounds like it will work. Most of the buttons were for the scan and I had not set Scan up yet the only button was the Zone and I suspect that it was a default

Thanks

Frederick C Kinder
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

The radio is smarter than the operator. You can't try setting a button for a function that is not set up for that zone. The radio will just ignore the button and
not show it on the screen if it is not needed. Set active all your features and settings before you try to program a button.

Jim

quint 18 wrote:Ok Jim we will try and let ya know that sounds like it will work. Most of the buttons were for the scan and I had not set Scan up yet the only button was the Zone and I suspect that it was a default

Thanks

Frederick C Kinder
RKG

Post by RKG »

Just to put this in context, the "buttons" on an XTL O-5 control head are not "buttons" as that term is typically used in Motorola RSS or CPS, but rather "soft keys" that access menu items.

Return to “Radio Programming”