Saber rebuilding questions

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Johnx
New User

Saber rebuilding questions

Post by Johnx »

Hello all, i'm in the process of (trying) to rebuild my saber. Two questions: how difficult is it to replace the volume and channnel switches (I haven't opened the radio yet beyond pulling it from the housing) and I'm assuming they're soldered to the motherboard- not part of the control top?). And I seem tone missing the main O ring that seals the top of the radio to the housing, is this part available? And if not, is there a suitable replacement sized O ring.
Thanks in advance. John
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Re: Saber rebuilding questions

Post by RadioSouth »

Really nice radio in their time but obtaining parts is gonna be a problem. Many items NLA but there's some dribs and drabs.
I tried ordering knobs a few years back, the low profile were depleted as well as the standard Volume control but channel knobs were still avaliable. Might want to sign up with a Motorola online account the exploded diagrams with parts #'s are viewable and they can be plugged in for availability. Good luck.
Johnx
New User

Post by Johnx »

Thanks for the reply, yup- an oldie but goodie radio. Panikelectronics has SOME saber stuff left- but not much, I'd to "restore" it as best i can while any parts are available from NOS markets. Wish me luck!
Tony.RI
What radios do you own?: HT1k, MT2K, Saber 3, XTS3k

Post by Tony.RI »

Johnx wrote:Hello all, i'm in the process of (trying) to rebuild my saber. Two questions: how difficult is it to replace the volume and channnel switches (I haven't opened the radio yet beyond pulling it from the housing) and I'm assuming they're soldered to the motherboard- not part of the control top?). And I seem tone missing the main O ring that seals the top of the radio to the housing, is this part available? And if not, is there a suitable replacement sized O ring.
Thanks in advance. John
Is there a problem with your current switches? If you need a set of Secure Saber switches and flex, I believe I have one. Maybe even the o-ring. I'll see if I can pull it out of my parts bin.
Johnx
New User

Post by Johnx »

Hi Tony, I think I have a bad volume pot- and figured I'd change both switches if I changed any (preventative maintenance) I do have access to another radio for them- but if you do have an extra O ring, it'd be appreciated. Thanks.
uman18
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 VHF, XTL5000 UHF/VHF

Post by uman18 »

i have many Saber II's, let me know./
Tony.RI
What radios do you own?: HT1k, MT2K, Saber 3, XTS3k

Post by Tony.RI »

Ok, sorry it has taken so long to get this to you!

The volume, channel, and side switches are all connected to the radio via flex. that flex is glued to the outside frame, and the motherboard just slides in. I don't have a good set of switches and flex, but I do have an extra o-ring if you're still looking.
dbusse
What radios do you own?: XTL, XTS, Saber, Spectra, MTS2

Post by dbusse »

I have UHF motherboards (short and long), and a bunch of frames. Most knobs are gone, but the pot, rotary, and side flex are in good condition. Let me know if yours is secure or not, and I can see what I can scrounge for you. I have lots of spare parts in converting some 403's into 450's.

Dan
Johnx
New User

Post by Johnx »

Thanks to all who replied: Tony, that's the info I was hoping for with regard to how the switches are mounted- I have a donor radio, so it shouldn't be too difficult of a job.
Dan- thanks for the offer- I actually have a spare radio (parts) to rob from. But thanks for the offers to all. What a great board!
John

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”