Measurement Sig Gen.

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Measurement Sig Gen.

Post by PETNRDX »

I am going thru some of my "museum pieces" and I find my T-1034C Sig Gen ( Motorola made by Measurements ) has a couple of minor problems.
The one I am asking about here, is that the oscillator freq in the "window" is off a couple mhz.
I don't remember these being off that much.
I have owned several in about 40 years.
Things are stable, plunger attenuator works right, and is withing a couple dB.
Any one remember how to adjust where the clear MHZ disk can be adjusted?
Also, I don't recall which screw sets the "friction" of the outer fiducial ring.
It sometimes wants to turn instead of just the inner microvolts dial.
Steve K.
WB6NVH

Re: Measurement Sig Gen.

Post by WB6NVH »

It's been years, but as I recall. the adjustment for frequency requires removing the silver plated drum cover and there should be a hole in the rotating turret to get a tuning tool through. Then, naturally, putting the drum cover back on shifts everything once again a bit so it becomes a trial and error process. I am presuming it's not off the same amount on all bands, which would then probably be a slipped dial disc, although I think those might be pinned in place. You didn't say if the issue was the same on all bands or just one. The capacitors in the RF turret may have changed their parameters with age.

The attenuator fiducial ring issue is probably due to stiff coax cable on the plunger of the waveguide-beyond-cutoff attenuator. This happens in equipment which has been unused for a long time--the cable ages, hardens and takes a set. I have fixed this before by replacing the cable, but that is a big job. Sometimes they get better just with use. The original is RG-55, which isn't exactly common.

I can't remember if there is a tension adjustment on the level set fiducial ring assembly. There is indeed one for the attenuator plunger, and that setting is somewhat critical. Too loose and there will be RF leakage. Too tight and the knob and dial will drag and be stiff.
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Re: Measurement Sig Gen.

Post by PETNRDX »

Surprisingly the coax on the attenuator plunger is still as flexible as it should be.
Just seems to be not enuf friction on the fiducial ring.
And the freq error is low (a lot) on VHF, but just a little high on UHF.
I may not mess with that.
Just remember the error.
But I need to get the fiducial ring to stay put when using the attenuator dial.
I guess I will just experiment.
Thanks for the reply.
Steve K.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”