R2001B Info/manuals

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Microtech

R2001B Info/manuals

Post by Microtech »

I purchased a R2001B at a hamfest last weekend. It appears to be working properly--It was demonstrated to me there receiving a NWS channel. There was no manual with it. Is there seperate user & service manuals avalible for it or are they combined? Any suggestions to operating this unit? To test its functions? I am not familiar with this unit at all--any suggestions will be appericated.
Thanks,
Microtech
radio_05

Re: R2001B Info/manuals

Post by radio_05 »

Ok,

I never operated the unit, does it have self-test?

You will need seperate operators and service manuals.

Assuming you don't have any repairs to do on the unit, a free copy of the R2001A service manual is available on repeaterbuilder. I wouldn't attempt some repairs of a B unit with an A manual though.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... index.html

It would be worthwhile owning the ops manual, I used ridge equipment for my paper manual, it may be possible you could find a PDF copy for less from someone else. Don't pay list price though, you should be able to find a $85 new manual used for around $50.

For repair parts, you will find they are scarce, and NLA from Moto. My best supply of NOS Motorola and Cushman test equipment parts is NS Electronics in Atlanta, GA.
Microtech

Post by Microtech »

Thanks Radio_05,
I appericate the link to the "A" manual but Adobe reader comes up with a error saying the file is damaged. I contacted repeater-builder about it & we'll see what happens.
When I picked the unit up I was able to power it up & punch in a NOAA freq & with a rubber duckie was able to hear it ok. So a portion of it appears to be functioning anyway. I 'm not sure how to use the wattmeter & don't want to pump any RF into the rcvr.
Thanks for the price info on the manuals and your help,
Microtech.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

radio_05 wrote: You will need seperate operators and service manuals.

Assuming you don't have any repairs to do on the unit, a free copy of the R2001A service manual is available on repeaterbuilder. I wouldn't attempt some repairs of a B unit with an A manual though.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... index.html

For repair parts, you will find they are scarce, and NLA from Moto. My best supply of NOS Motorola and Cushman test equipment parts is NS Electronics in Atlanta, GA.
The R2000A, B & C series had a COMBINED operator/service manual. The R2001A manual in repeater-builder will help you tremendously. The differences between the "A" and "B" models are the power supplies, and the front panel interface.
Dave
Microtech

Post by Microtech »

Thanks DJP126--I have a LOT to learn about service monitors and every piece of info helps me. I don't plan on doing any kind of commercial work--I intend to replace my individual sig gen,freq counter, power meter etc. for my tinkering.
Thanks again,
Microtech
RJF19
New User
What radios do you own?: Icom 7600, 7000, 756 PROII

Post by RJF19 »

As of 8-11-2010 the A, B, C and D series manuals are currently available on eBay. Search for "Motorola Service Monitor - Maintenance Manual" and choose which series you own. The A, B & C have Ops sections included in the service manuals and the D includes a complete, seperate Ops manual.
Bob Fehn W3RJF

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”