XPR4550 Audio Issue

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Vercomm

XPR4550 Audio Issue

Post by Vercomm »

Hey Gang,

I have encountered a strange issue with an XPR4550. We are running the radio in analogue only and the unit does have the newest firmware 1.6.20.

We have a device sending audio into the xpr through the rear 26pin connector. The audio is voice band and also paging tones.

This is the scenario, paging tones are sent and voice follows (very simple). 1 out of 8 times the paging tones are not being transmitted, but the voice is always transmitted. And of course our radios are set to AND unmuting which menas we need the paging tones to unmute. I have checked the device that generates the paging tones and audio and it is working 100%, never misses a beat. The deviation of the XPR is bang on (when the tones work).

In the CPS, the analogue and digital mic AGC are enabled as well as talk permit tones.........those were the two things that came to mind right off the top of my head.

I should also mention we have our audio generating device connected in the same scenario to CDM1250's and we have 0 problems with those setup's.

The external device is an NXU.

Any ideas, things to check, thoughts, hunches. This is for ambulance dispatch so i need to come up with some answers........thanks guys!!
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, torn up and shouting... "Holy Sh*t...what a ride!!"
chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Alot

Re: XPR4550 Audio Issue

Post by chartofmaryland »

Try turning the output audio down from the NXU to the XPR. If the voice is at a certain level and the tones are at another then the tones will be clipped and the audio will make it through. You will hear both every time if after turning down the audio tone and voice are heard.

If this doesn't work then there is a audio filtering problem with the XPR that may be due to the DSP that is not present in the CDM.

The latter is a bit of a stretch so check the audio first.

CoM
If the lights are out when you leave the station and then come on the second you key up, you know you have enough power.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”