Ht600 programming errors

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Motouser16
New User

Ht600 programming errors

Post by Motouser16 »

Hello forum,

I recently obtained a couple of ht600's and I am attemptig to reprogram them but I am having some issues..

I've tried several versions of RSS including 03.02.02 and 02.01.01
I've gotten the same error messages with all software versions. Alsoive tried running the software on a few different pc's, and platforms, one running only msdos 6.22, msdos 5.0, windows 95 DOS, VMWARE and dosbox. On all platforms I got the same errors..

I am using a ribless programming cable Whig seems to be well manufactred.

I get the following errors:

with everything connected and powered up properly:
SERIAL BUS ACCESS ERROR #005

with the radio off, battery connected on the ribless cord:
SERIAL BUS ACCESS ERROR #3

with the radio off and the ribless battery disconnected:
SERIAL BUS ACCESS #11

I know that all should be powered up for programming, but I wanted to show that the cable /radio/computer must be communicating somehow since the errors change with he different conditions.

Any ideas?

Note: with dosbox, as I slowed the ips down the error #005 changed to error #001.
does anyone know what these errors mean? I can't find a list anywhere online

Thanks all!
Al

Re: Ht600 programming errors

Post by Al »

You didn't say what speed the processors in the various PCs you're trying to use is. Generally, with all but the very last version of the RSS, you need a processor speed of no more than 16 Mhz, and preferably an old 286 or 386 Intel processor. The last version of the RSS accomodated higher processor speeds because M introduced a second timing loop in the software to separate i/o timing from RSS timing, but I don't remember the version number offhand.
Ribless cables were unheard of when the RSS you're trying to use was written. If you use an M compatible RIB and a standard(non RIBless) cable along with a suitable processor speed for the RSS version you should have no problem.
Motouser16
New User

Post by Motouser16 »

Thanks for your reply,

the slowest computer I tried it on was a Sony vail laptop pentium III 500mhz running ms-dos 6.22.

I am really hoping that this is the problem as a friend of mine has an old 386 in his attic he is going to give me later today for further experimentation. I understand that the ribless cable is newer from the radio, but I imaging that the circutry is still comparable. If the old pc dosent work, I'll have to spend the extra $$ and buy the rib and the seperate cable.

I'll post me results from the old 386 when I give it a try..
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Definitely cpu-speed dependent. I had to use a 486-25 to make mine run. I did however run across a fairly new version that ran on my Pentium 100 - sort of. I could program it, but when I tried to set the deviation level, the radio would stay in transmit mode and not come out of it unless I turned the radio off. I went back to my 486-25 and it worked a lot better.

I've only used non-Motorola RIBs and they both worked fine. I've never tried any RIB-less cables.

And it should go without saying that this machine was running MS-DOS 6.22.

Bob M.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

The RIBless cables are also dependent on what UART is connected. The latest version of HT600 RSS WILL run just fine on a Pentium class CPU, I've had no issues running it on a Toshiba Dual Core 3400 Tecra M5 laptop with 2GB of RAM- running REAL MS-DOS as a boot source and the RSS located on a small FAT32 partition on the HDD. Using a real RLN4008E and Genesis cables work just fine. You may have to try a different PC with your cable to get it to work.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Motouser16
New User

Post by Motouser16 »

Hey all,

well, I got an older pc from a freind today. He said it was a 386, but he was mistaken and when I picked it up I was a little dissapointed to see that it was a celeron 333. However after giving it a go with the celeron and msdos 622 it worked like a charm!

Thanks for all of your help!

Return to “Radio Programming”