convert Rapid Battery Charger Nln8858 from 110V to 220V

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

f1uot

convert Rapid Battery Charger Nln8858 from 110V to 220V

Post by f1uot »

hi guys,

fristly sorry for my very bad english

I try to convert my Motorola Mx300 Rapid Battery Charger Nln8858 from 110v to 220v. I looking for the diagram and schematics about it, from the AC connector to the diode bridge.
After open it, the power come from white et gray (through fuse) line, I think the tranformer has dual 110v primary/input ( first : black-yellow and second : black/white-yellow) and only 1 output(red line) at this time the configuration all primary are in parallel, with the solder wire jumper configuration yellow + yellow-white and black + black/white, so to convert to 220v I will cut the 2 solder wire jumper ( yellow + yellow-white and black + black/white) and add an new wire jump between black/white and yellow also I think the primary will be a in serial.

the us plug will cut and substitute by european plug, at last, the fuse from 0.75 A values to 0.5A

with pic wire to transformer and solder wire jumper configuration
following http://mapage.noos.fr/f1uot/image/IMG_9109.JPG

is it a good way? Have you another idea?

best regardes
73's
RF Geezer

Re: convert Rapid Battery Charger Nln8858 from 110V to 220V

Post by RF Geezer »

Hello
I have the schematic for the MX NLN8858A 117 VAC and NLN4038A 230 VAC rapid charger. The power transformer T1 has two windings. The schematic shows transformer winding as follows:
A winding with leads 1 and 3, a second winding with leads 2 and 4.
For 117 VAC: leads 1 and 2 are jumpered together. Leads 3 and 4 are jumpered together. AC power is applied to leads 1 and 4. (Both windings are in parallel.)
For 230 VAC: remove jumpers from leads 1 and 2, leads 3 and 4. Leads 3 and 2 are to be jumpered together. AC power is applied to leads 1 and 4. Both windings are now in series)
Fuse values remain .75 A.
The primary windings may be identified as follows: Lead 1 to 2; 26.7 ohms. Lead 3 to 4; 23.0 ohms.
The service manual number is 68P81101C52-F
I hope this has been helpfull
Brad

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”