APX & Site Alias

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

w2sjw

APX & Site Alias

Post by w2sjw »

Guys,

I see the feature to enable site alias on my 7000 within the trunking options, and the field clearly takes characters up to the same limit as my large-screen alpha-tags.

Is that something that can be made to display on the main screen? When I add the 'Site' option to the trunking menu choices, it only gives me the option to lock & unlock the specific site (with no other specific data being shown).

Thanks in advance for the help...
Scott, W2SJW
GEMOTO

Re: APX & Site Alias

Post by GEMOTO »

You need at add a "Site Display/Search" button, when pressed it will display the SmartZone site number or the custom alias you have provided in CPS.

The Site button allows you to lock your radio to the site you are currently affiliated to and will prevent it from roaming to other sites.
w2sjw

Post by w2sjw »

OK, I looked through all of the options & menu settings, along with the CPS help file. I can't see anything in there that will allow me to have the radio display the site alias.

Maybe one of the other APX owners here can chime in if they know...
Scott, W2SJW
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

w2sjw wrote:OK, I looked through all of the options & menu settings, along with the CPS help file. I can't see anything in there that will allow me to have the radio display the site alias.

Maybe one of the other APX owners here can chime in if they know...
Did you look at the side button 1 & 2 options?
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
w2sjw

Post by w2sjw »

Bingo! That did it, and the button option was listed just as GEMOTO had stated. I use the #2 button as monitor on conventional, but it had no previous assignment in trunking.

Neat - it even shows the RSSI percentage under the site alias name...
Scott, W2SJW
GEMOTO

Post by GEMOTO »

The RSSI values vary from model to model:

Astro Spectra/XTS3000/Astro Saber
Max = 89, Lowest useable = ~35

Astro 25 Series XTS/XTL2500/5000 etc.
Max = 148, Lowest useable =~30

APX Series
Max = 174, Lowest useable = ~3something

MCS2000/MTS2000 (I forget, have't used these radios in a while)
Spiffy50

Post by Spiffy50 »

With respect to GEMOTO's post with the RSSI values. Is there any way to change at what point the radio will deem a site as unusable? IIRC, there is an option in the Jedi Depot.

It would be nice if I could make the radio hop sites at a much higher RSSI than 35. When I'm in an area where it can pick up 3 or 4 sites, the radio plays quite the game of ping pong, causing me to miss comms on quite a few occasions.
w2sjw

Post by w2sjw »

I could swear I've seen settings in my APX CPS that let me define RSSI threshold values (similar to the way the GRE PSR-500 scanner lets you set the high & low threshold when a system is set to 'multi-site').

I know my previous statement is a gross oversimplification, but you get my point! :D

I did not mess with the default values, as there are only a scant few multi-site system in the area I'm around (and my county is not one of them).
Scott, W2SJW

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”