T3020 KVL - how do I tell if it's already been upgraded?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Astrosaber

T3020 KVL - how do I tell if it's already been upgraded?

Post by Astrosaber »

I picked up a pair of T3020 DES KVLs today, and have a suspicion they may have been upgraded based on some comments made by the seller.

They're marked as BX models. Each has a double board (I've heard some KVLs have three). There's a label "TRN 4974A" on one chip on the second (i.e. not mounted to front panel) board, and there is a single 28 pin socketed PROM, marked 27M69 8507. There is a small board in the bottom of each that looks like a hybrid - part number TRN4836R, date code (?) 8621 on one and 8661 on the other.

What do I have here? Are they upgradable to CX or (preferably) DX? What's involved? I've seen a few vague comments in past threads, but nothing concrete. It would be nice to be able to load my Systems Saber, my Spectra and my Astro Saber.

Thanks!
Code636
What radios do you own?: MTS/MCS2000

Post by Code636 »

um, dude, check out the primer on batlabs main board....they only go to `BX' model, never was a `CX' or `DX' version, the T3011 took it over as it could do both the DES and DES-XL. The 3020 will never do anything but DES. I have a good one if you want a spare for $75.00, no batt or charger, but looks really nice.

-Scott
Some defeats are better than victories; unfortunately, some victories are worse then defeats.
Astrosaber

Post by Astrosaber »

Threads like http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=12796 have led me to believe they can be upgraded...
Astrosaber

Post by Astrosaber »

Further info -

The top board (not attached to faceplate) has a sticker "TRN4974A" on U103, and is stamped "TRN4835A" on the other side. The other board (the CPU board?) is marked "TRN4834A" and has the 28 pin PROM socket but no 8 pin socket. The hybrid is soldered in place.

What the heck do I have here?
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

There is a small board in the bottom of each that looks like a hybrid - part number TRN4836R, date code (?) 8621 on one and 8661 on the other.
The TRN4836B is a DES ONLY hybrid from early days. (Micor & Mocom 70 era).
Dave
Astrosaber

Post by Astrosaber »

Right - I'd be perfectly happy if I could just load newer gear with DES. I have no real need for XL.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”