Saber III with 15ch

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Motoman
What radios do you own?: XTS3000 III, MTS2000 III,

Saber III with 15ch

Post by Motoman »

I have a Saber III normal, and it shows 12ch on the label, yet the channel selector can rotate to 15 positions. Is that extra channels? or just a malfunction? thanks.
Motoman at your service!
nitornemo

Re: Saber III with 15ch

Post by nitornemo »

It "should" go to 16 if the stop was modified.
Generic knob-pot for the saber/system saber housings/chasis.

Motoman wrote:I have a Saber III normal, and it shows 12ch on the label, yet the channel selector can rotate to 15 positions. Is that extra channels? or just a malfunction? thanks.
Image For That Chewy-Gooey Tasting Radio system!
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

The analog Saber 3 is capable of 12 channles per zone of 10 zones. The extra positions on the switch are for Systems Sabers. They're just using the same switch assembly for similar models They do this on a lot of their models, guess it reduces their tooling costs.
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

You can actually hex edit channels 13-16 into the radios codeplug and it will then read and write with those channels in the radio but if you ever delete the channels from the codeplug you'll have to re-hex them in. I did this once to see if it would actually work and it did.

Frank
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Saber switch...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

There is a small stop-ring which on your radio is out of position, or it may be missing. It should have the underside, single tab, on the indentation at the channel 9 position. Reset the ring to that position and the knob will stop at 12 as it should.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
IslesFan

Post by IslesFan »

10-95 wrote:You can actually hex edit channels 13-16 into the radios codeplug and it will then read and write with those channels in the radio but if you ever delete the channels from the codeplug you'll have to re-hex them in. I did this once to see if it would actually work and it did.

Frank
Would this work with a Saber 1?
10-95

Post by 10-95 »

IslesFan wrote:
10-95 wrote:You can actually hex edit channels 13-16 into the radios codeplug and it will then read and write with those channels in the radio but if you ever delete the channels from the codeplug you'll have to re-hex them in. I did this once to see if it would actually work and it did.

Frank
Yes, I have done it with a Saber 1.

Frank
IslesFan

Post by IslesFan »

10-95 wrote:
IslesFan wrote:

Frank

Frank
When you add these channels via hex edit, are they viewable/editable in the saber RSS?
10-95

Post by 10-95 »

IslesFan wrote:
10-95 wrote:
IslesFan wrote: Would this work with a Saber 1?

Frank
When you add these channels via hex edit, are they viewable/editable in the saber RSS?
Yes they are, but you can never delete them or you'll have to go back and hex edit them back in . You can edit the information in the new channels in the RSS just don't delete the channel positions.

Frank
IslesFan

Post by IslesFan »

10-95 wrote:
IslesFan wrote:
10-95 wrote: Yes, I have done it with a Saber 1.

Frank
Yes they are, but you can never delete them or you'll have to go back and hex edit them back in . You can edit the information in the new channels in the RSS just don't delete the channel positions.

Frank
Frank,
Do you know how to make the channel knob go to 16 channels?

--IslesFan
Tom in D.C.

Saber switch...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

AS NOTED ABOVE, there is a stop ring under the selector knob.
Remove the ring and you will go to 16 positions.
Tom in D.C.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

16 channel positions.

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

To do all positions, remove the stop.
To make it a bit clear.
One you have hex edited the channels on, you do not want to DELETE them.
You can edit the extra channels all you want, just do not blank out the channels.
write in any valid frequency(s) you choose before you write to the codeplug.
IslesFan

Re: Saber switch...

Post by IslesFan »

Tom in D.C. wrote:AS NOTED ABOVE, there is a stop ring under the selector knob.
Remove the ring and you will go to 16 positions.
I understand that. Whats the best way to remove the ring?
Tom in D.C.

S3 switch setup

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The ring just sits in place. If you first remove the outer knob, then remove the adapter (plastic) underneath, the ring will be accessible and adjustable. When I said above that you put the tab into position 9 I was relying on my memory, so you may have to cut and try to get the ring set so that the knob stops on 12, if that's what you're trying to do.
Tom in D.C.
IslesFan

Post by IslesFan »

I removed the ring, edited the codeplug for 15 channels(my radio wont go to the 16th channel) and then I tried to upload the new codeplug with 15 legit channels in to the radio. It uploads the firmware sucessfully, but when I go to channel positions 13-15, the radio shows(i've checked with the radio alignment screens) that its on channel 12, yet if i I load my saved codeplug with 15 channels, it'll show I'm on 13-15 correctly, but the channel isnt working.

This is a saber 1, H43SAN7139CN, unless I'm missing something?

Edit: If I go to view radio information, For Number of Channels, it has: 15 / 12, Which I think means 15 channels out of a max of 12, Maybe I need to do some more hex editing?
IslesFan

Post by IslesFan »

Heh, it works!

I think I just need to do a channel align(Which I have NO idea how to do), because it appeared that for channels 1-12 the RSS set it automatically.

Thanks to 10-95 and Tom in DC.
10-95

Post by 10-95 »

IslesFan wrote:Heh, it works!

I think I just need to do a channel align(Which I have NO idea how to do), because it appeared that for channels 1-12 the RSS set it automatically.

Congradulations, glad you got it working! I neverf had that problem on any I evere did, at least you got it now.

Frank
IslesFan

Post by IslesFan »

10-95 wrote:
IslesFan wrote:Heh, it works!

Congradulations, glad you got it working! I neverf had that problem on any I evere did, at least you got it now.

Frank
Yeah, just need to align those three channels, because apparently, the saber RSS sets the settings automacially for the first 12 channels, but not for 13-15, so I have no idea how to align those three channels. Thats why I didn't think it worked, because I set one of the channels as a weather channel, and wasn't coming in.

So now I have two issues with my saber:
1. Need to align those three channels
2. Low Battery Warning isn't kicking in, so I don't know if its the battery, or the setting in the RSS is wrong.

--IslesFan
petrus
What radios do you own?: never goin out without a radio

Post by petrus »

IslesFan, You're right.

The radio can' t get the alignment for the aditinonal 3 chanels.
The file tell the radio to align only 12 chanels. So You have to
change the file again.

If You use a hex editor to do this, please take a look at 0000F80.
You will find in the ascii text box "C".

"C" stands for 12 chanels, D for 13, E for 14, F for 15.
Instead of "C" You have to use "F" for 15 chanels. If the file is ok,
the radio will do the alignment for 15 chanels.

I tested it two days ago with two radios and 14 chanels. Hope it
works for You too.

Best greetings
andreas

If You'll send me Your eMail adress, I could send you an aditional screen shoot.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”