Can Jedi Display with Dead Pixels be fixed?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n6fnp
Batboard $upporter

Can Jedi Display with Dead Pixels be fixed?

Post by n6fnp »

I have a MT2000 Model III HT which has some dead pixels on
the display. Does anyone know if there is any way to fix
this, other than completely replacing the front of the radio?

-Thor (N6FNP)
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

There's no easy way that I know of - somebody talked about limited success applying heat and pressure to the displays, but I don't recall it going anywhere.
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

It's my understanding that M has bumped for another year to still replace them for free.

SG
dfc2

Display

Post by dfc2 »

I took mine to the M shop in town and was told it was not under warranty. this was 3 weeks ago..

DFC2
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

Saw a new "update" on Friday (24th), saying that they were extending for another year, I'll dig up the info tomorrow. Of course, it will most likely go to Mexico, so it will be f**ked when it gets back.

SG
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

spectragod wrote:Saw a new "update" on Friday (24th), saying that they were extending for another year, I'll dig up the info tomorrow. Of course, it will most likely go to Mexico, so it will be f**ked when it gets back.

SG
SG... you have that update that you can send to me? I sent them my MT2000 with that problem and I was told to go scratch. I just bought the display flex thinking they are no longer repairable at the depot for nothing.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

I JUST got back a JT1000 for this last week. I had to fight, the old SRN 1394D
was good till Nov of 2006, but they told me it did not cover the JT1000. I disputed, and now they have come out with 1394E I understand. That one should include the JT1000 now. I don't know if they moved the date up from Nov 2006, I have not seen the new SRN.

Jim

PS, the JT went to, and came back from Rockford. It left on a Monday, I had it back Thursday, we won't be seeing that kind of turn around from MexiMoto I bet.
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

Have the same issue here with a JT1000. Can't seem to find a copy of 1394E on MOL though. Does anyone have a link, etc?

Jay
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

So, if you're terminally cheap (like me) you can resurrect the displays with heat and pressure. I used one of the small aperture weller princess heat guns, the ones with a .500 dia opening, I think they're a couple hundred watts at best. See this:

I don't reccomend using any of the blowtorch grade 1500 watt guns with a small aperature reducer, it'll have the components floating on their solder before you know it. pressure was applied using a mechanically flat edged piece of .060 copper. Apply pressure to the ribbon on the board using the copper to apply pressure and shield the remainder of the flex from the heat.

NOTICE TO ALL. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN PERIL. if you fark your display, it's on you. As always, with any radio used in a public safety situation, just buy the right part or have it depot serviced. If you're hamsexy or are just playing, have at it, just don't wine to me if you blow it. As far as I'm concerned, any display with missing pixels is a loss anyway, whatever positive outcome you get is just icing.....

I did this with power applied and the display laying on it's back on an anti-stat mat. As the board and flex heat, you will see pixels flicker back to life. I basically waved the heat over the board and copper straightedge for roughly 30 seconds. Eventually you should see the display come all the way back. I removed the heat gun and let the board and flex cool a bit under pressure to minimize thermal shock. The bonded surface is wider than the edge of the copper edge I was using, so I would shift it a 1/16 either way on the flex and reheat. I would reccomend working from the display end of the flex and moving down the board away from if it if you're going to make more than 1 pass with the heat gun. .

Good luck, hope it works out for you adventurous types....

Also, I've had varying degrees of success with different displays, some come back and don't die, some gradually fade out again. My JT1000 was the first one I did, and it's stabilized at maybe %70 good pixels. as I did it before "perfecting" my process (puhleeeez, sarcasm intended), I'll probably have another go at it in the next week....

Will
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

SRN # 1394D, good for serial #'s AZA and later, good till 11/30/06.

SG
compuman81

Post by compuman81 »

anyone got any info about fixign the display on a top display (A4) model? Mine is missing a few digit pieces like sides to the Letters on a digital display. same process? the flex looks fine.
beemare

Post by beemare »

Does anyone have a PDF copy of the SRN they can send me? If so, email me please.

Thanks.
phonegunner

Post by phonegunner »

Is there any extension to this beyond Nov 30 2006?

Thanks,

Ted...
Veni, Vidi, Vici.....TOGA!!!
firecomm
was Fire4117

Post by firecomm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Nov 30 was the extension.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Anybody have anything further ? Just checked my JT which has less than
10 hrs. on it which I haven't used for over 3 years and wammo 3 dead pixels.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”