XTS DVRS

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Rayjk110
Banned

XTS DVRS

Post by Rayjk110 »

I recently enabled DVRS on another 5k of mine (gotta keep it whacker sexy :lol: ) and when I enabled it, I lost SoftID TX and RX, as well as the ability to turn on secure. (It gives me CLR TX ONLY when I go circle-slash). Also, on an Analog TX personality with a Mixed Mode RX, I get the PTT ID (3 short beeps) on Analog as well. Odd.

How do I turn these options back on?
akardam

Re: XTS DVRS

Post by akardam »

Rayjk110 wrote:I recently enabled DVRS on another 5k of mine ... and when I enabled it, I lost SoftID TX and RX
Seems to work OK for me, both repeated and talkaround. Provide the usual details about your radio...

Rayjk110 wrote:... as well as the ability to turn on secure
The Help File wrote:Talkgroup
(Conventional Personality, ASTRO Talkgroup Options)

Definition:
Enables Talkgroup functionality while operating in ASTRO Signaling mode and when on the current Conventional Personality.

Important Note:
When this personality’s currently selected ASTRO System has its DVRS Operation Enabled field enabled, this field is automatically set to enabled and becomes view-only. (ASTRO Systems are selected for individual Conventional Personalities from the ASTRO System field).

Accessed Only:
When the Tx Voice/Signal Type field is set to “ASTRO”.
Go to the referenced talkgroup in your table (Conventional > Astro > Astro Talkgroup List) and see what the selection is - clear, secure, or select. Betcha it's set to clear.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

You hit the nail on the head - was set to clear TX in the TG list, now set to "Select" and it's working just fine.

It's a Q split 5k, Host 9.00.02, DSP 9.00.05, Secure 05.00.13, and FC 5A0001-000102-4. [bleh] CPS 9 still has a mandatory 15 Zones and 240 modes, all FPP. Never touched with CPS over 9; that's just how it is. 101E may fix that, or so I'm told.
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: 900 MHZ APX4000

Post by RADIO43 »

If only the radio could still scan while on the personality with the DVRS Enabled.... Damn
In Time of Crisis, You will Not Rise to the Occasion but Rather Default to your Level of Training!
libuff

Post by libuff »

can someone give me clarification on this subject of DVRS...

So, if i have an ASTRO repeater which i used to utilize w/o DVRS, and enable DVRS, it will give me the triple beep as if it were a trunking system, but still work the same?

it seems to try to affiliate with the system (as my monitor seems to flicker when it xmits).

what exactly IS DVRS, and what is its application? when should it be used, when not?
akardam

Post by akardam »

libuff wrote:can someone give me clarification on this subject of DVRS...

So, if i have an ASTRO repeater which i used to utilize w/o DVRS, and enable DVRS, it will give me the triple beep as if it were a trunking system, but still work the same?

it seems to try to affiliate with the system (as my monitor seems to flicker when it xmits).

what exactly IS DVRS, and what is its application? when should it be used, when not?
Motorola sells a P25 capable VRS called the Digital Vehicular Repeater System. Astro25 portables (and even mobiles, though I'm not sure why) are capable of talking to a DVRS. The radio can be configured to emit a talk permit tone on successfully engaging the DVRS (by which I mean the portable radio has established communications with the DVRS and the DVRS has brought up the mobile radio in the vehicle).

It was discovered that DVRS could be enabled on a channel used to talk to a Quantar digital repeater, and that the radio would assume the Quantar was a DVRS insomuch as it would issue the talk permit tone if able to communicate with the Quantar, and issue a talk deny (bonk) tone if it wasn't. This equals poor man's talk permit tone without the radio being on a trunking system, and since lots of Moto-heads like their radios to emit funny noises just for the hell of it, this was hailed as a great discovery.

The affiliation you're speaking of (that makes your monitor flicker) is the radio checking to see if the DVRS is awake. It periodically sends out 4-5 "ping" packets. Will really wake you up if you left the truck parked out front on a DVRS enabled channel and it makes your subwoofer go nuts (no, I've never done that before, I swear...)

So there, in a somewhat large nutshell, you have it.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

While we're on the subject, do you know how to stop the radio from checking to see if the DVRS is "awake" every few minutes? Those pings can get slightly annoying, especially around speakers. :lol:
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I only wish that worked on analog too.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

For some reason, mine does work on analog. It's beyond me why.

When I go to FPP > EDIT and select Mixed Mode RX (with the RX astro system being the DVRS one)... wala. Analog PTT Tonez! The 3 beeps too, not the lame low beep failsoft like toneage. Also, it still sends those astro DVRS pings, even if you set TX to analog.
libuff

Post by libuff »

did i hear this correctly? Triple beeps on analog channels?

now by mixed mode, what is your TX mode?
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

RX mode is "mixed" (using the the Astro personality with DVRS enabled) and TX mode is "analog".
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

Rayjk110 wrote:RX mode is "mixed" (using the the Astro personality with DVRS enabled) and TX mode is "analog".
Works for me also, XTS2500 R9, flash 500008-000410-5. Programmed with CPS 9

Still, IMHO it's cool to have that little DVRS beep, but it sounds almost like a telephone pulse, which is still way different than the emulated TPP tone on HT1000. I think I'll leave that off for now.
akardam

Post by akardam »

There's actually two different talk permid tones associated with DVRS that I have experienced.

The first, on a repeated channel with DVRS setup (one would assume the DVRS allows some form of duplex operation), you get the standard talk permit tone. When manually engaging talkaround on that same channel, you get a lower pitched, faster pulsed, longer tone, very much like the telephone pulse you describe.

The DVRS programming in the radio allows the option for talkaround fallback if the radio is unable to communicate with the DVRS (so local users would still hear you on the DVRS "output" even if you were out of range, presumably). I would surmise that during talkaround fallback, you would recieve the second of two tones mentioned above - my tests would seem to confirm that.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

If I set a personality for a DVRS enabled astro system, it will change the TX mode to ASTRO and I can't change it back. This is on an XTS1500
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Nexrad16
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: APX V/7 & V/U Liberty

Post by Nexrad16 »

I get a solid tone (MDC??) followed by the three beeps??? Also after I pushed this via cps I had to fpp it to analog mode.

Pretty cool.
Nexrad16
Batboard $upporter

Post by Nexrad16 »

The proceeding solid tone was the MDC.

Neat!
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Another thing noticed -

When you have this analog PTT ID thingy enabled, and when you switch to this personality from another one, you'll notice the radio forces itself into talk-around, does the DVRS pings on Astro, then goes back to Repeat mode analog and works fine... Just something I'd like to point out.
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

So from what I understand, DVRS gives standard talk permit tone if you are in repeated mode with a quantar. Otherwise, it will give a low pitched phone ring like tone when you are using a non-quantar or in simplex. Analog DVRS is only achievable in you force TX mode to analog via radio's FPP menu.
Nexrad16
Batboard $upporter

Post by Nexrad16 »

If you want scan u could always create a new personality with a new astro tg without the DVRS enabled.
Nexrad16
Batboard $upporter

Post by Nexrad16 »

In my case it works simplex or duplex (any repeater). It's interesting but the scan thing is a pain but creating a new personality and not enabling DVRS you could get some scan back but lose the 3beep.
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

Nexrad16 wrote:In my case it works simplex or duplex (any repeater). It's interesting but the scan thing is a pain but creating a new personality and not enabling DVRS you could get some scan back but lose the 3beep.
For some reason I can't get it to TX three beeps. I have the following enabled:

DVRS Operation Enable
Talk Permit Tone
TA When NO DVRS comms

TX Freq: 146.58
RX Freq: 146.565
TA Freq: 146.58
RX Type: ASTRO
TX Type: ASTRO (view only field)
ASTRO Talkgroup: Strapped

When I key up in repeated, the radio will send a short ping out, than come back with telephone ring after about 1 sec. In direct mode, the radio will just sound telephone ring (which makes sense, since you are in TA mode).
Nexrad16
Batboard $upporter

Post by Nexrad16 »

Try unchecking the "TA When NO DVRS comms" .

See what that does.

I have no idea about that "ring" tone. Mine just does the 3beep.
libuff

Post by libuff »

im haivn the same problem... first i thought i wasn't hitting the repeater... now i think it may be my setup or the repeater on the other hand...

as for the dvrs on analog, while i don't have FPP, i enabled Mixed Mode receive and analog transmit, on a simplex, it seems to kerchunk the simplex, channel, but then goes to T/A (same channel) on Digital tho... weird..
e231

Post by e231 »

Sorry, I'm a little late getting around to this one, but I have found that it indeed works great in simplex mode as well as any repeater (talk permit tones). DVRS enabled, FPP from mixed mode/astro to mixed mode/analog. no scan though :( as the dvrs prohibits that.
xts2500-vhf, uhf
spectra-vhf, uhf
e231

Post by e231 »

I can't seem to find a way without the fpp option though. sorry
xts2500-vhf, uhf
spectra-vhf, uhf
caprice96
What radios do you own?: To many to list here.

Post by caprice96 »

Question :

Does anything on the repeater side need to be enabled for this to work in ASTRO? I have a repeater that is running in Mixed Mode and I can talk into it fine regularly but when I switch to the mode with the DVRS feature enabled, I get bonked. Any ideas?

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”