Quantar Mix-and-Match

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hoser

Quantar Mix-and-Match

Post by hoser »

Quantars,,,,

Say I have an 25W R1 VHF unit....can I place an R1 exciter and 125W R1 PA in it and automatically have a high-powered VHF Quantar?

How bout if I have 100W UHF unit, and replace the PA, receiver and exciter with all VHF equivalents....does it then become a 100W VHF unit?

Does the SAM or EPIC boards have range specific programming to prevent band changes and/or PA changes?

Any help is appreciated!
xmo

Re: Quantar Mix-and-Match

Post by xmo »

Yes.
Yes.
No. SAM does not care.
No. The EPIC board can be loaded with any station codeplug regardless of station configuration or frequency with the exception that you can use an IR EPIC for conventional or 6809 trunked but not the other way around.

One issue with mix-n-match Quantar configuration is versions. Ideally, the exciter, station control, and wireline firmware versions should all be of the same release. There is a complete list of the versions included with the programming software.
hoser

Post by hoser »

Thanks xmo!

With the mass amount of surplus hitting the street now...they are finally becoming affordable!

Is there a min version of SCM or Exciter f/w that I need for a simple CAI capable conventional repeater?
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Watch out for the power supplies. Most low transmit power stations also have a low wattage power supply. Thankfully, nothing destructive happens. You just can't transmit. You'll get a PA fail almost immediately.
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

hoser wrote:Is there a min version of SCM or Exciter f/w that I need for a simple CAI capable conventional repeater?
For p25 you need SCM 20.09.xxx at a minimum. Same goes for Exciter.

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”